Waterer Ideas...

seanarino

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
So, I'm trying to think of a solution to my ails, and if you would also like to give me a solution to my ails, I'm definitely going to need it as well-explained and well-pictured as possible, as someone who doesn't do physical construction.

But I'm attempting to make a waterer from a 5 gallon bucket. I'm going to be using these watering cups. First and foremost, what I'm wanting to do, is create some kind of gravity waterer with these cups. But due to some physical issues, I'm wanting to make it so that I can basically plug a hose permanently using a bulkhead or hose adapter fixture into the top (the lid of the bucket) and just turn the hose on, fill up the bucket, and have fresh water for my chickens. the hose is going to be permanently attached to the bucket via the lid.

What I'm wondering, is if this is possible, and if there's a way to stop it from accidentally overfilling the bucket somehow, considering most 5 gallon buckets are opaque. Am I going to somehow have to learn engineering with a float valve like a toilet somehow, or is there some kind of "water level sensor" that tells me when to stop filling the bucket that I can use?

Sean does it freeze where you are? If so those kind have always frozen shut on me in winter.
I have seen a YT video where they used a toilet valve but that seems complicated to me. I ran a PVC pipe from outside of run to my trash can waterer in run with horiz nipples on it. I just fill it slowly till I can't hear the hollow sound or you could let it overflow couldn't you.? I go in to check it while filling but if that's not possible , then maybe the valve is the best way to go.
I do have an ice cream container with cups on it that I can see the water level in it so I'm wondering about a clear square tote instead of bucket? Just a thought but no matter what it will need cleaned and scrubbed eventually.

Back
Top Bottom