What breed are these two hens?

Gibbie

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2017
Tennessee
I have 2 hens that I was told were Black Copper Marans but I am not confident on this since I have seen some pictures on a breeder site. The breeder site show their hens having a much darker more coppery neck and less copper color in the breast. What breed do you think these pretty girls are?
74296D20-9472-48DF-B02D-F4FD10644FDF.jpeg
do you think these pretty girls are?

Attachments

• FA3011E9-4719-46E1-AE18-900BB2E09E07.jpeg
    FA3011E9-4719-46E1-AE18-900BB2E09E07.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 13
I have 2 hens that I was told were Black Copper Marans but I am not confident on this since I have seen some pictures on a breeder site. The breeder site show their hens having a much darker more coppery neck and less copper color in the breast. What breed do you think these pretty girls are?
Good observations on your part.. As noted by another poster they're also missing the feathered legs/feet.. I also think black sex link is a strong possibility.. noting breeding for good qualities including the color can be quite challenging.

Got links to the "breeder" site?

I agree - they look like Black Sex - Links. No feathered feet!
Good observations on your part.. As noted by another poster they're also missing the feathered legs/feet.. I also think black sex link is a strong possibility.. noting breeding for good qualities including the color can be quite challenging.

Not all Marans have feathered feet. So I don't think the feet prove anything, one way or the other.

I do agree that the color pattern looks more typical of Black Sexlinks, rather than Black Copper Marans.

Back
Top Bottom