• Brahma bantam

• Cochin bantam

• Barbu D'Uccle

• Green queen bantam

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunshinechickies

Songster
Jan 17, 2023
Well, I can’t choose a chicken breed. I want one that’s friendly but that’s pretty much it, I have my chickens for pets and pets only but those eggs are a nice bonus. If I still can’t decided then I will probably just get all of them… If you have any other suggestions or color recommendations please let me know 😃!

Well, I can’t choose a chicken breed. I want one that’s friendly but that’s pretty much it, I have my chickens for pets and pets only but those eggs are a nice bonus. If I still can’t decided then I will probably just get all of them… If you have any other suggestions or color recommendations please let me know 😃!
Just get all of them!

Chicken math dictates that you get them all. Chickens are individuals so while some breeds are "known" to be friendlier than others that is no guarantee they will be. I don't raise mine to be friendly and I have had lots of friendly birds of many breeds. I've also had my share of jerks. Some people train their chickens to be friendly so you can go that route and be choosier but I don't think it matters too much. I had a couple hens that were awful when I got them. Hard to catch, mean and just generally made me regret buying them. But they were sick and I nursed then through it and now they are sweethearts. I also have chicks I hardly handled or paid attention to that sit on my lap whenever I am in the back porch chair. Get them all and you will have a good chance of having friendly pets with minimal effort.

Chicken math dictates that you get them all. Chickens are individuals so while some breeds are "known" to be friendlier than others that is no guarantee they will be. I don't raise mine to be friendly and I have had lots of friendly birds of many breeds. I've also had my share of jerks. Some people train their chickens to be friendly so you can go that route and be choosier but I don't think it matters too much. I had a couple hens that were awful when I got them. Hard to catch, mean and just generally made me regret buying them. But they were sick and I nursed then through it and now they are sweethearts. I also have chicks I hardly handled or paid attention to that sit on my lap whenever I am in the back porch chair. Get them all and you will have a good chance of having friendly pets with minimal effort.
Okay thanks! By friendly, I mostly meant known to be friendly as you are correct and every chicken has their own personality. I just wanted to see others opinions on what chicken they think is a great breed based on their experiences. I think I will get them all, chicken math 😂

Okay thanks! By friendly, I mostly meant known to be friendly as you are correct and every chicken has their own personality. I just wanted to see others opinions on what chicken they think is a great breed based on their experiences. I think I will get them all, chicken math 😂
I am not familiar with any of your listed breeds except the Polish. We got one for my mom and named her Mad Madam Mim. Before we could get her to her new home she had murdered one of her flock mates. I don't recall her being much nicer to us lol.

I am not familiar with any of your listed breeds except the Polish. We got one for my mom and named her Mad Madam Mim. Before we could get her to her new home she had murdered one of her flock mates. I don't recall her being much nicer to us lol.
Wow! I’m sorry about your loss, I had one polish before and he was the sweetest thing ever 😂

I voted for the Cochins based on personal preference, but I think it really depends on your preferences and goals. If you were really focused on egg production, for example, I’d recommend totally different breeds. But I have a feeling that eggs aren’t your main or only goal.

I ended up ordering all of them with a few extras as well, they’re coming in August. I feel like the wait will be forever !

Back
Top Bottom