What chicken breed do I have? (All black)

Chickens-diva

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
I got Plymouth Rock chickens from the store and I’m sure they made a mistake. I’m convinced these chickens are ayam cemani, but I know there are more breeds fitting my chickens, and I’m curious to know what breed they are.

They are:
  • All black, meat, blood is darker, and comb/wattles is black
  • Feathers have a beetle green shine
  • Tan/light brown eggs, laid about every 1.5 days
  • They are friendly, and quite large.
  • They don’t seem to stop laying eggs throughout the year.

IMG_0208.jpeg

They have some small red impurities on some feathers, but she’s like 99.5% black. (The sun makes her look blue). They are quite adorable, and I think their black has helped them blend in to avoid avian predators.

The only question I have is why their feathers are rounded and not as ”thready” as the photos online :/

Any guesses?

I got Plymouth Rock chickens from the store and I’m sure they made a mistake. I’m convinced these chickens are ayam cemani, but I know there are more breeds fitting my chickens, and I’m curious to know what breed they are.

They are:
  • All black, meat, blood is darker, and comb/wattles is black
  • Feathers have a beetle green shine
  • Tan/light brown eggs, laid about every 1.5 days
  • They are friendly, and quite large.
  • They don’t seem to stop laying eggs throughout the year.

View attachment 3620331
They have some small red impurities on some feathers, but she’s like 99.5% black. (The sun makes her look blue). They are quite adorable, and I think their black has helped them blend in to avoid avian predators.

The only question I have is why their feathers are rounded and not as ”thready” as the photos online :/

Any guesses?
No idea but I'd say not ayam cemani. They're not actually black enough for that breed. At least the few cemani I've owned were jet black. No trace of red anywhere. Inky black combs and wattles...even inside the throat and mouth were jet black.
Gorgeous girls you have there though!

No idea but I'd say not ayam cemani. They're not actually black enough for that breed. At least the few cemani I've owned were jet black. No trace of red anywhere. Inky black combs and wattles...even inside the throat and mouth were jet black.
Gorgeous girls you have there though!
Unfortunately look like you have mystic onyx. Ayam cemanis don’t have any red flares whereas it is common in mystic onyx

Mystic Onyx is a good bet. There are probably other hatchery hybrids with dark skin nowadays.

I don't believe they are Ayam Cemanis for several reasons. Cemanis are a smaller breed, lay few eggs in general but are most especially not winter layers, and finally, they are very expensive. Most hatcheries don't even offer them, and the ones that might aren't going to mix them up with much cheaper breeds.

I agree they are Mystic Onxy or another hybrid.
I had hatched out some ayam cemanis a few weeks ago. And the parents of the chickens were completly black no red. And were imported from a ayam breeder across the country with pure jet black ayams to.

From the Hoovers site: [...[Mystic Onyx] resemble a Svart Hona or Ayam Cemani in color but typically feature orange-red flares in their plumage..]

Back
Top Bottom