What color would the hens likely lay?

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
Hello, all!
My Starlight Green Eggers started laying for me on Christmas!! Now, my Ameraucana roo just reached sexual maturity and has begun mounting my SGEs!
I do want to keep 4 more hens in my flock and I'd like them to be colorful egg layers, so, my questions are as follows:

1.) Is it too early yet for me to get any fertilized eggs that will result in viable baby chicks in those eggs?
2.) When they are ready (big enough and for sure fertilized) to be incubated, what color eggs are the resulting hens from those eggs likely to lay?
3.) Can Ameraucana (black) roo and Starlight Green Egger hens produce offspring that might lay brown or pinkish eggs or will I get teals/blue/green only?

Thank you all!

True Ameraucanas have two copies of the blue egg gene. EEs can have 1, 2, or none. If he is a true Ameraucana and your SGEs lay green eggs, then crossing them with him should give you mostly pullets that lay blue eggs and some that lay green eggs. If you get pullets that lay brown or tan eggs than your boy is an EE and doesn't carry 2 copies of the blue gene.

True Ameraucanas have two copies of the blue egg gene. EEs can have 1, 2, or none. If he is a true Ameraucana and your SGEs lay green eggs, then crossing them with him should give you mostly pullets that lay blue eggs and some that lay green eggs. If you get pullets that lay brown or tan eggs than your boy is an EE and doesn't carry 2 copies of the blue gene.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom