What colour are these hens?

I can tell the sex because barring is sexlinked, and they have a barred mother but solid-colored father.

I can tell the sex because barring is sexlinked, and they have a barred mother but solid-colored father.
Yes, it seem like I have two cockerels and two hens then! Both cockerels have yellow eyes, skin and beak, while the pullets have black skin, brown/black eyes and black beaks (same as their fibromelanotic father). I don’t know if this is just a coincidence or maybe some sex link as well?

Does the silver leakage mean they have the Silver gene, or is it another kind of “silver”? I thought both parents were Gold. 😅

Yes, it seem like I have two cockerels and two hens then! Both cockerels have yellow eyes, skin and beak, while the pullets have black skin, brown/black eyes and black beaks (same as their fibromelanotic father). I don’t know if this is just a coincidence or maybe some sex link as well?

Does the silver leakage mean they have the Silver gene, or is it another kind of “silver”? I thought both parents were Gold. 😅
Yes, fibromelanism is linked to the id+ gene, which the pullets inherited from their father. So that aspect is sexlinked as well.
It seems your Ayam Cemani must be heterozygous and has both the silver and gold genes. This is also sexlinked and pullets inherit only one copy and only from their father, and they inherited silver.
It may seem weird to deal with all three common sex link genes at once, but my oldest hen is a Wheaten AmeraucanaxDominique bantam cross, so it is always possible. She has dark legs from her father, unbarred from her father, and gold from her father, while her mother was barred, silvered, and pale legged. She also is dark faced, but not fibro.

This is the only picture I found of his feet. It is a lot of artificial light, so his feet look more green than in natural light, and his barring doesn’t show, but his feet are dark/gray yellow-greenish in daylight. The other cockerel look just the same.

As day old chicks, the pullets were solid black, and the cockerels had a white spot on their head. I guessed already then that they might be sex linked, but I wasn’t 100% sure about their parent’s genes or how the fibromelanosis would affect the barring.
D6AE924C-BF20-48A1-91AE-3FB4A32298E5.jpeg

This is the only picture I found of his feet. It is a lot of artificial light, so his feet look more green than in natural light, and his barring doesn’t show, but his feet are dark/gray yellow-greenish in daylight. The other cockerel look just the same.

As day old chicks, the pullets were solid black, and the cockerels had a white spot on their head. I guessed already then that they might be sex linked, but I wasn’t 100% sure about their parent’s genes or how the fibromelanosis would affect the barring.
View attachment 3347771
It’s very rare to inherit both barring and id+, and impossible in the case of your boys since they have a light legged mother. So barred fibros are super rare.

It’s very rare to inherit both barring and id+, and impossible in the case of your boys since they have a light legged mother. So barred fibros are super rare.
I had to Google id+ 😅. If I understand it correctly, it is suppressing the Fm gene in the cockerels? Does that mean they are id+/Id, while the pullets are id+/-? And that all of them are Fm/fm+?

I have another AC hen (not closely related to their father). If I cross one of these cockerels with the AC hen, could some of their female offspring be both barred and fibro?

I had to Google id+ 😅. If I understand it correctly, it is suppressing the Fm gene in the cockerels? Does that mean they are id+/Id, while the pullets are id+/-? And that all of them are Fm/fm+?

I have another AC hen (not closely related to their father). If I cross one of these cockerels with the AC hen, could some of their female offspring be both barred and fibro?
Correct! Though the dominant gene is always first so the cockerels are Id/id+
id+ is confusing, so I’m glad you understand it.
Yes, theoretically some of them could be because hens inherit id+ from their father. It would be rare, but possible.

Back
Top Bottom