What do you use for water in the winter?

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Currently we have a duck waterer from flock party and a small bucket of water for our 3 ducks, but they run out and it has to be filled multiple times a day. What do you use for water? Especially in the winter. We got a water warmer plate for when it starts to freeze during the day. Does anyone use those little bowls that you can attach to a 5 gallon bucket? If so, which ones do you use so they are big enough for the ducks? Do they freeze in the winter even if it’s on a heater? We would still have the bucket so they are able to dunk their faces in the water, but want another source of water jut to drink if needed

sometimes i use a heated bucket
but it says don’t use extension cord with it and that’s the only way i can hook it up so i try not to use it
i also have the round rubber feeder pans that are easy to break up the ice and dump out for rinse and refilling
i once watched a video where a woman used a bucket inside of an old tire. She laid the tire on its side and stuffed it with straw and then put the bucket in the hole in the center and kept it in a sunny area. She said it doesn’t freeze as much.
here’s a picture of my green bucket and one of the rubber flexible feeding pans. I’m not sure if mine is 2 gallons or not it seems to me mine might be a little bigger, but the one in the picture is 2 gallons. Of course with ducks the water has to be deep enough for them to put their heads under.

Attachments

• 068461B4-A778-42C9-BC8A-6A7C1578F87E.jpeg
    068461B4-A778-42C9-BC8A-6A7C1578F87E.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 4
  • D991F768-870C-476E-80FB-7DC7FA424506.jpeg
    D991F768-870C-476E-80FB-7DC7FA424506.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3
@Jenbirdee I have used 12 gauge extension cords with my heated buckets for 5 yrs and they all work fine. Just make sure they are 12 gauge they are the safest.
I love my heated buckets. Also to keep them from splashing all the water out I put a piece of wood in the middle it helps to keep them from splashing it all out. Especially when the pools can't be used they like to bath in their buckets a few even have climbed in so having a piece of wood in the middle keeps that from happening.

I added a 'perfect bucket heater' to my rubber tub and so far so good. No geese gnaw marks or pulling out * knock on wood*. It been down to19f. Both my under bucket heater and the floating pond deicer from last year are broken for this winter. :(

61yYm4IsAKL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I added a 'perfect bucket heater' to my rubber tub and so far so good. No geese gnaw marks or pulling out * knock on wood*. It been down to19f. Both my under bucket heater and the floating pond deicer from last year are broken for this winter. :(

61yYm4IsAKL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
I had one of those last year and by spring half the gray paint or whatever it is had chipped off. But it does work well and I like that it’s not metal.

Back
Top Bottom