What gender is this chick?

matthewrbo

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
My buff Brahma rooster cross bread with my barred Rock hen. I was wondering if anyone knows what the gender is of this adorable baby chick? Photos attached. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 7
Are you sure those are the parents? I can believe the buff Brahma as the father, but crossed with a barred rock I would expect mostly black chicks.
The wing feathers that are coming are black with a tan color.

Attachments

• BE3F0025-D85F-43B9-ABDA-9EF611611FDF.jpeg
    BE3F0025-D85F-43B9-ABDA-9EF611611FDF.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 5
Are you sure those are the parents? I can believe the buff Brahma as the father, but crossed with a barred rock I would expect mostly black chicks.
I am not 100% sure that that the barred rock hen is the mother. It’s is also possible that the mother is a golden comet hen. Can you tell if it is a girl?

The reason I asked is because that cross of breeds is very similar to what is used to make black sex links at hatcheries. I'll post
I am not 100% sure that that the barred rock hen is the mother. It’s is also possible that the mother is a golden comet hen. Can you tell if it is a girl?
That would make a lot more sense. It is too early to tell the gender. Around 6 weeks is when to start looking at size and color of the comb.

Back
Top Bottom