What I Feed My Flock

HarmonyHorsey

Songster
Jul 24, 2023
South Africa
My Coop
My Coop
Here is my flocks daily menu, plus a few added treats that I like to give them.

For their main meals they have a GMO free organic corn mixture called Eddie's Eggs Feed. It is powdery to I have to mix it with water and/or apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I mix in pumpkin seeds too as this helps with de worming plus they love them.

I also give my chooks meal worms for good protein.

I feed them crushed up egg shells for calcium too.

All my vegetable scraps they gobble up, (but avoid giving them citrus and avocado which aren't good for them).

In the water I sometimes put apple cider vinegar amd origanum.

When my chooks are sick, a spray of colloidal silver helps a lot.

Harmony

Edited to add: I have, on a case by case scenario, rubbed a small amount of ivermectin topically under their wings. It is my belief that quite a few health issues stem from a parasitic overload. My chooks arrived with many visible worms and possible coccidiosis. This is administered infrequently and under advice and amongst other remedies, helped a huge amount.

Last edited:

For their main meals they have a GMO free organic corn mixture called Eddie's Eggs Feed. It is powdery to I have to mix it with water and/or apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I mix in pumpkin seeds too as this helps with de worming plus they love them.

All my vegetable scraps they gobble up, but avoid giving chickens avocado as they can not eat it and it's not good for them.

In the water I sometimes put apple cider vinegar, origanim oil, and ivermectin.

When my chooks are sick, a spray of colloidal silver down their throat and their eyes helps a lot.

Harmony
Curious as to why you put Ivermectin in their water (?)

All my vegetable scraps they gobble up, but avoid giving chickens avocado as they can not eat it and it's not good for them.

In the water I sometimes put apple cider vinegar, origanim oil, and ivermectin.

When my chooks are sick, a spray of colloidal silver down their throat and their eyes helps a lot.

Harmony
I also give them cayenne pepper in the food and a honey and garlic mix,

I don't know. Ivermectin covers a lot of things though.
Apart from these considerations, Ivermectin requires a specified dose to be effective and Ivermectin has lost it's efficacy on internal parasites in many parts of the world, my main concern is by using it as a regular additive to water you are 1) wasting your mony and 2) increasing the likely hood of any parasites your chickens may have increasing their tolerance to the drug, much like the over use of antibiotics.

Apart from these considerations, Ivermectin requires a specified dose to be effective and Ivermectin has lost it's efficacy on internal parasites in many parts of the world, my main concern is by using it as a regular additive to water you are 1) wasting your mony and 2) increasing the likely hood of any parasites your chickens may have increasing their tolerance to the drug, much like the over use of antibiotics.
Always good to learn more!

my main concern is by using it as a regular additive to water you are 1) wasting your mony and 2) increasing the likely hood of any parasites your chickens may have increasing their tolerance to the drug, much like the over use of antibiotics.
Agree with this, better to not give them any anti-parasitic unless you know for sure they have parasites. Giving them a clean area and large run they can roam in, plus the pumpkin seeds you're feeding them, can do a lot to prevent parasites.

Back
Top Bottom