What is the difference between an incubator and a hatcher?

kiaya611

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Lebanon, OR
I have seen posts that refer to taking your eggs from the incubator out 3 days prior to hatch and put them into a hatcher. Could you tell me what a hatcher actually is?

Thank you.

Kiaya.....I think you are confused...or maybe I am with your post. An incubator..is the hatcher. You dont take the eggs out after putting them in..at all. What people take out, is the egg turner....Some have automatic egg turners..some dont....I dont.
hmm.png

After the babies hatch....you leave them in the incubator untill they are completely dry....24 hrs is good...them move them to the brooder where the temp is already at 95 degrees.....and not drafty.

I hope this clears it up for you....

The difference is in function.
I have 2 Little Giant incubators with turners and a Little Giant incubator without a turner that I use only for hatching.
When eggs are on Day 18, I take them out of the turner and move them to the 'hatcher'.
Hatching eggs is pretty messy. Doing it that way, I don't gunk up the incubators and can stagger my hatchings weekly.

Lisa

Like Lisa said...a hatcher is just another incubator that is used only for hatching. Some people incubate and hatch in one, but many don't so they can set hatches to occur at different times and keep on incubating more eggs.

Jody

Ok, so if I want to keep my incubator cleaner and want to have more "versatility", then it might be a good idea to get another incubator? If so, do I need one with a fan or will a still-air incubator work ok?...Like a GQF 1602N THERMAL AIR FLOW HOVABATOR.

That seems like an in expensive way to go for a 2nd unit to be used as a hatcher.

Am I on the right track?

Back
Top Bottom