What is the ideal watering interval for potatoes?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I have been thinking that the way I garden is good for tomatoes and cucumbers and melons, but NOT for potatoes. When you garden for cucumbers and tomatoes trying to get them nice and big and juicy you try to optimize the watering schedule to do the most water you can without turning the land into a swamp. Unfortunately this ... if I'm not mistaken this is the wrong way to do things for potatoes. And add to that, we have clay soil. When you get clay soil and water it gets really compact and hard. And it doesn't let the potatoes grow.

So I wanted to ask what you think is the best watering schedule for potatoes? Too much will glue them in won't it? So can it be true that a reduced watering schedule is better? What do you think? Thanks.

Potatoes might be susceptible to root rot though I’m not a potato expert haha! I keep indoor tropical plants but from my experience you can try sticking your finger about a whole index finger length into the soil to feel if it’s dry. If it’s still wet, hold off on watering. Try to only water when the moment it gets dry and maybe try that way? Keeping specific plants in constantly wet soil can just cause the entire plant to suffocate because it needs to “breathe” between watering. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom