What is the right goose for me?

yardbird tx

Songster
12 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, Texas
I am choosing a breed of geese that will be right for me.
I have a good book about geese on the way and I keep pigeons and chickens now. So Im pretty comfortable keeping birds.

1. I live in a hot climate.

2. Looking for a good egg producing breed.

3. Need a bird that can go to the table if needed.

4. quieter the better.

5. The tougher the bird the better. I constantly fight predators.

Thanks, Joe

Embdens?

I don't like them myself - they are mean, but if you want a tough bird mine are out all night long and the coyotes and foxes don't even bother. They scare the crap out of the donkeys sometimes!

They are good table birds though. I don't know how many eggs exactly they will lay - better than most I'd say, though they are seasonal.

Now isn't that something my Embdens aren't mean but they are HUGH! As for being tough well the oldest are over thirty - egg production has slowed waaaay down but one of three eggs from last year is a lovely large bird. You are looking at some things that are mutually exclusive, I think. By this I mean best egg laying has to be the Chinese, mine start laying by end of March and are still laying in July. Last year I had one hatch her last brood for me the third week in August. However they are loud. They are a nice table bird, but nowhere near as impressive a roast as the Embden might make.

Back
Top Bottom