What is this??

jetmek94

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
This is Henny she is a 1 year old bielefelder hen. I have 2 issues with her. One being when she became coop ready. Noticed her chest is very large and giggly. It feels soft and squishy with a soft piece of tissue in the inside her crop. I thought impacted or sour crop? I give her plain yogurt and ACV in her water, alternating with Vit powder, and plain water. She has a great diet. Layer crumble, peck and scratch brand whole grains, and moist crumble. A snack in afternoon of fresh greens, fruit, nuts, oats, flax seeds etc. She eats drinks and poops. Her poop is normal consistency, but the cap is always yellow? She started acting funny panting a lot. Finding a vet that takes chickens is difficult in my area. So I drove an hour to a bird vet. He did an exam, X-ray, and fecal. 400.00 later he had no answers for me 😳 she just recently laid her first egg 2 days ago and nothing since. Which brings me to my second problem she terrified of her 5 flock mates. I would quarantine, but that would mean everyone but her? In the morning she runs the gate for me let her out of her wonderful living area I have for them. So during the day she hangs out in the large yard, patio and garage. She has two dog houses to go in, food and water. I watched from my security cameras while I’m at work and our little dog stays by her a protects her. She does spend time with the other girls at snack time when I am at home to supervise . I recently lost her sitsterunexpectedly it was vers upsetting. I have included photos. Any ideas are needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0139.jpeg
    IMG_0139.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 11
Im so sorry for your loss. I hope we can help you figure out what is going on.
You said the vet did a fecal test and found nothing but why the yellow poop then hmmm I have this bookmarked when I have poop questions I refer to it
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
she says yellow is abnormal and could be worms or coccid
I wonder if you should maybe treat the flock for coccid and it wont hurt them if they dont have it but perhaps help..
I am really more experienced with ducks mostly, then geese, and lastly my chickens I have only had for 2 years, but I do real a lot of posts here and learn learn learn.
I can tag a couple people who I know that are more chicken knowledgable. I hope she gets well!
@triciayoung
@ShrekDawg
@fluffycrow

The urates, normally white in the poop are yellow. That can be a sign of bile from reproductive infection, ascites/water belly, or fatty liver disease. It sounds a though she has a crop disorder with the doughy or impacted crop. I am not a fan of scratch and peck feeds, since they can pick out just the tasty parts and leave some of the balanced nutrition in the feed. Does she get any treats? I prefer a chicken crumble or pellet which is all the same, and balanced. It is a shame that the vet charged you that much with no answers. I would address her crop problem, perhaps give some chilled coconut oil cut into tiny pieces twice a day to help move the impaction on. She may have a pendulous crop from the description. Here is a good article about various crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged as it has fluid or a sloped mass inside? Let us know if her crop empties in the early morning, or if it is still full.

Last edited:
The urates, normally white in the poop are yellow. That can be a sign of bile from reproductive infection, ascites/water belly, or fatty liver disease. It sounds a though she has a crop disorder with the doughy or impacted crop. I am not a fan of scratch and peck feeds, since they can pick out just the tasty parts and leave some of the balanced nutrition in the feed. Does she get any treats? I prefer a chicken crumble or pellet which is all the same, and balanced. It is a shame that the vet charged you that much with no answers. I would address her crop problem, perhaps give some chilled coconut oil cut into tiny pieces twice a day to help move the impaction on. She may have a pendulous crop from the description. Here is a good article about various crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged as it has fluid or a sloped mass inside? Let us know if her crop empties in the early morning, or if it is still full.
Thanks so much for responding. The girls get dry crumble layer feed dry and moist along with scratch and peck. I can stop giving that to them. Since I had some bulling going I have several feeding stations in and out of the coop as they have a large grassy area to use until I get home then they free range until bed. They do get a snack around 3pm a variety of green spinach, kale lettuce, fruit, oats, flax seed chi seeds. walnuts pecans. Scrambles eggs all this is done in rotation. For example the eggs maybe one or twice a week. They did a fecal if it was warms or cocci would that have showed up? I saw the x-ray I really wasn't sure what I was looking at. In the morning her crop is soft and her belly does not feel like fluid and I'm not sure about the sloped mass. She eats and drinks and poops for now. I will keep working at it. Thanks you!!

Im so sorry for your loss. I hope we can help you figure out what is going on.
You said the vet did a fecal test and found nothing but why the yellow poop then hmmm I have this bookmarked when I have poop questions I refer to it
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
she says yellow is abnormal and could be worms or coccid
I wonder if you should maybe treat the flock for coccid and it wont hurt them if they dont have it but perhaps help..
I am really more experienced with ducks mostly, then geese, and lastly my chickens I have only had for 2 years, but I do real a lot of posts here and learn learn learn.
I can tag a couple people who I know that are more chicken knowledgable. I hope she gets well!
@triciayoung
@ShrekDawg
@fluffycrow
Thanks so much for the response. I have actually used the scoop on chicken poop before! lol I will check out the other recommendations. Thanks again.

Most chickens may have a small amount of coccidia from the soil, but if they do a fecal float, they can see if they have a lot or that or worms, and what types. The crop should feel empty and flat if emptying properly. The vet might allow you to have a copy of the X-ray.

Back
Top Bottom