What killed my hen?

bethanyms

Hatching
Feb 28, 2022
Hi everyone, I sadly found one of my hens dead in our coop today (she's only a year old). When I moved her out, there was a very strange looking egg thing underneath her - it was gray, squishy, and had no shell. I had noticed I hadn't been getting as many eggs recently, but I figured it was something to do with the heat. Now I'm guessing it was that weird egg, but would that have been what killed the hen? I didn't notice any odd behavior before today, only the egg shortage.

I'm concerned about the other hens. I just want to make sure whatever happened to this one doesn't happen to the others!

I would guess she was egg bound but I wouldn’t know for sure. Was she previously squatting? Usually an egg bound hen will squat trying to push the egg out for long periods of time.

Sounds like it could possibly have been a lash egg, which would point to a reproductive problem/infection, but one would need a photo to be sure.
I think something reproductive would be the most likely cause, in any case.
So sorry you lost her.

I should have taken pictures. It didn't occur to me until after I had cleaned everything up! I hadn't noticed any squatting, but that doesn't mean she wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom