What killed my rooster?

My guess is whatever it was grabbed it by the neck so it couldn't fight back (maybe severed it's spinal cord )then bit it's head off.canines and cats both go for the neck so do weasel and coons.

The only chicken kill I have had with possum, which I think was possum. They start at the anus and eat the insides out. Most possum I get is in the winter because they do not hibernate. The possum I usually get in winter eat the chickens food. The one year I had a larger possum had a bird with the insides eaten out of it. It was a large possum I know because I killed it.

But did not see it eat the bird. Just had the leftovers.

My guess would be hawk still (I’ve only read the first page so far). Smaller ones are not much bigger than a chicken and they can land and enter the coop. I lost three to hawks recently (caught the second and third in the act) and they likewise had their heads removed. The first one’s head was gone and I think the others started cannibalizing the body - that one happened when we were out so I can’t be sure of what happened or when. But the next two had their heads off and next to them and they were kind of ripped up. The hawks are generally not big enough to take back off with them. The three I lost were not even three months old yet, so still on the small side.

Back
Top Bottom