What kind of Cuckoo Maran is this?

Brizi

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
Alabama
This is a 5 week old Cuckoo Maran. Does it look like a Golden Cuckoo Maran, or a Silver Cuckoo Maran x Golden Cuckoo Maran? Maybe a Silver Cuckoo Maran x Black Copper Maran? I honestly can't tell.

Attachments

• 20230315_173842.jpg
    20230315_173842.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230315_173857.jpg
    20230315_173857.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Is there such thing as a Birchen Cuckoo Marans?
Not that I'm aware of, but I honestly don't know much about Marans! The person we got her from had tons of chicks, but only her Cuckoo Marans were close to the age of our current chicks, so we just went with it. She had 5 week old Silver Cuckoo Marans (aka plain ol' Cuckoo Marans) and Golden Cuckoo Marans together.

I have Blue Cuckoo Marans and they are only one color. Maybe yours is mixed.
Do you think it's possible she's a mix of the two? I only ask because she seems to have a mix of brown and silver on her neck. A couple of the others I saw had fully golden necks. Or is that just how they grow out?

Do you think it's possible she's a mix of the two? I only ask because she seems to have a mix of brown and silver on her neck. A couple of the others I saw had fully golden necks. Or is that just how they grow out?
That is partially because it is still growing in its adult feathers, but some adult golden cuckoos do have some more silver mixed in than others. A silver cuckoo Maran x golden cuckoo Maran should produce all black self barred offspring which it is not. Both parents are golden cuckoo.

Last edited:
That is partially because she is still growing in her adult feathers, but some adult golden cuckoos do have some more silver mixed in than others. A silver cuckoo Maran x golden cuckoo Maran should produce all black self barred offspring which she is not. Both parents are golden cuckoo.
Awesome, this was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! And thanks to everyone else as well. 😊

Back
Top Bottom