What should I do with a blind hen?

finster

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
Waterloo, IA
I went out of town for a long weekend. I left my birds cooped while I was away, and when I returned, I found one of my California Whites laying on the coop floor half dead. She appeared to have been attacked by the rest of the flock. She had puncture/laceration wounds on her neck and back, but the brunt of it was concentrated on her head. One eye she held shut. The other was covered in dried blood, mud and matted feathers. I couldn't see it. I separated the bird from the rest and housed her in the garage. I began feeding her diluted honey through an eye dropper. I also gave her half a low dose aspirin, and added some amoxicillin to her water to stave off infection. After a couple days, she was back on her feet and a little more alert. I switched to feeding her a mash made of layer feed crumble, and water with a small spoon. I also took her into the house and cleaned her up in the kitchen sink so see how bad her injuries were. Most seemed superficial. One eye I still couldn't see as she was holding it tightly shut. The other eye I got a glance of. It was grey and cloudy with no discernable pupil that I could see. I continued to spoon feed her every day, and give her an occasional half a low dose aspirin. This was almost 3 weeks ago. She's recovered from most of her injuries. She now holds her eyes open when awake, but does not appear to be able to see. The cloudy eye eventually cleared and now looks normalish. The pupil in the other eye is always dilated. She doesn't seem to respond to any kind of visual stimuli. She's normally very skidish, but mostly ignores me unless im touching her. She has food and water but will not touch it. I stopped feeding her for a couple days and she still wouldn't eat on her own. She doesn't scratch around or peck. She mosly just sits in the same place, all day long and sleeps. I dont even have her caged. She's been living in the box of my 4 wheeler which only has 8" high sides, and has never made any attempt to leave it.
Any opinions? Any chance of her vision returning? Im willing to give her every chance, but Im probably not going to be able to continue to spoon feed her every day. Im hoping to hear from someone with more experience with this than I have. How long should I give her until chicken is on the menu?

It seems you've already made a pretty good assessment of her future prospects and have pretty much concluded that she will be able to have no future role in the flock. Even her present situation living on the back of an ATV isn't a life. It's okay to end it.

Back
Top Bottom