What to do with dead baby goat carcass?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Sorry for the gory post.
I got home from an errand and found one of the baby goats out of her stall and huddled under the RV. She had wounds like she had been kicked in the head and rib cage. She cried for an hour then died. What should I do with the carcass? She is too sweet to feed to the dogs. The last time I buried a goat carcass, it was dug up and eaten by some wild animal.

What should I do with the carcass? She is too sweet to feed to the dogs. The last time I buried a goat carcass, it was dug up and eaten by some wild animal.

You could try to bury it better than last time (deeper, or with big rocks on top, or something like that. Laying a piece of fencing or cattle panel on top of the dirt might discourage digging, or they might just dig under from the edge of whatever you used.)

You could feed it to the dogs (which would make sure no wild animals could dig it up again, and is what I would probably choose.)

You might be able to burn it (would probably take a big fire and quite a few hours of time.)

You might be able to put it in a plastic bag and dispose of it in your normal trash (depends on the trash rules in your area.)

If I've missed any options, hopefully someone else will mention them.

You could call around to your local large-animal vets, find out where is the local rendering plant where people who euthanize their horses take their bodies, and take your poor little dead goat there.

So sorry for your loss, just read your other thread about all the effort you made to save her and get her healthy. Sometimes you do your best but still fail, it's possible the poor little baby had birth defects that couldn't have saved her no matter what you did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom