What to do with my poor little roo!!

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
As ya'll know I am new to this so I'm at a total loss any suggestions are greatly appreceated. That being said One of the member gave me a frizzled bantam roo today. I though there might be a little cat fight with my other two banty roo's but once pecking order was established everything would be ok. well they had a bit of a fight not nearly as bad as I thought then he just avaoided them. when I went out to check on him around 7:30 the poor roo was outside huddled down instead of inside roosting with the others. I brought him in and made him a comfy little nest in the barn but not in the pen. Is this behavior going to change> I only have two hens right now because i can't find anyone who sells just banty hens around here. if i got more hens would they be more receptive? We have two more sets of banties coming in one I know is male and female but the other are silkies and only a week old so who knows. I fell in love with this little roo as soon as I set eyes on him and really don't want to give him up. Any suggestions? Crystal

If there is anyway you can pen him so they all can see each other, (w/o leaving them open to pen/wire fighting), you might be able to ease him into the flock. Right now, he knows he is somewhere new, and the established birds know this is "their" home, so he is kinda at a disadvantage. Hopefully if he can learn to associate his new home as "home", he might be able to better establish himself in the pecking order of this new flock. It does all depend on your breeds and the individual temperaments, but I hope you can get him settled into his new home.

good luck...

I think that he knows he's the new guy and is just trying to stay out of site until they get used to him. Having some extra girls may or may not help the situation..depends on the birds themselves.
I've got to learn to not press add reply until I'm done...
barnie.gif

Post in the Buy, Sell, Trade and Giveaway section about hens.
Are the other roos frizzles too? If not, what kind are they?

Last edited:
If this is a new coop for the bird, he needs to become familiar with it by closing the pop door at night with him in there for a couple weeks and letting out in the morning, they catch on fast. If it is hard to do this for 2 weeks, try a few days and see what happens.

Your new peep doesn't realize home yet.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom