What to feed pullets and laying hens?

danlan

Songster
Jan 7, 2021
Hello! I have a mixed flock of 12-week-old pullets, all different breeds. Some of them should start laying in a few weeks, while others won't be old enough to lay for months (for example, I have a cochin and I've heard they don't lay until 9 months). What do I feed them when they are all at different stages?

Can I continue with the chick starter/grower feed until it runs out and then switch to an all flock feed and put out on demand oyster shell?

Hello! I have a mixed flock of 12-week-old pullets, all different breeds. Some of them should start laying in a few weeks, while others won't be old enough to lay for months (for example, I have a cochin and I've heard they don't lay until 9 months). What do I feed them when they are all at different stages?

Can I continue with the chick starter/grower feed until it runs out and then switch to an all flock feed and put out on demand oyster shell?
That's exactly what you can do. Finish up the starter/grower, switch to all flock when the other is gone. I would go ahead and put out oyster shell now, that way they can get it when they need it. The ones that don't need it won't eat it, they may try it but will lose interest fast

That's exactly what you can do. Finish up the starter/grower, switch to all flock when the other is gone. I would go ahead and put out oyster shell now, that way they can get it when they need it. The ones that don't need it won't eat it, they may try it but will lose interest fast
Awesome, thanks!

I agree with tripletfeb above.

I would like to add that you can use starter/grower indefinitely (oyster shell and grit served separately). The biggest factor is what you can consistently with the best combination of protein, price, and freshness.

I kept chick starter 20% for my 7 hens. 3yrs this spring, still cluckin'. Higher protein for the win IMO. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom