What to feed quail

Most of the peeps on here don't keep males long...just long enough to get to butcher weight or age....so they don't worry about them getting too much calcium. If they intend to breed them then they should be feeding a complete and balanced feed ration of at least 20% protein but the better ration of 24% would be ideal. There is enough calcium in a 'gamebird feed' that no added calcium should be used/added, ie; limestone grit, oyster shell, etc. but many peeps do have it available to their birds at all times.
I raise mine in a very large aviary, there is no need to have calcium available for my birds, as the soil has limestone grit size particles and the soil is high in calcium. They get enough ca from eating the limestone grit. If they were on wire or in a cage that was above ground, then oyster shell, or a chick size grit could be used for extra calcium...if needed! ....as I said most gamebird feeds have a calcium level that is adequate.
Ok so help me out a sec here. I will have Quail and Bantams. I will be feeding chick starter and gamebird starter for them but then I planned to change foods to something that they both could eat. What if I fed them Dumor starter grower which is 20% forever after that and supplemented Calcium and grit. Or is an all flock feed at 20% better? I do plan to hatch eggs so I will have males to keep

Ok so help me out a sec here. I will have Quail and Bantams. I will be feeding chick starter and gamebird starter for them but then I planned to change foods to something that they both could eat. What if I fed them Dumor starter grower which is 20% forever after that and supplemented Calcium and grit. Or is an all flock feed at 20% better? I do plan to hatch eggs so I will have males to keep
I would go with the all flock feed and provide calcium on the side. The girls will eat as much as they need and the males won't, which solves the issue of the boys getting too much calcium.

IMHO, feeding the Dumore 20% would do just fine....but understand, that feeding a higher protein 'gamebird feed' would be best for your breeding stock! It also has the right essential vitamins and minerals that the Dumore 20% does not have included in it's ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom