what to use to keep down on smell

renae

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
i was wondering what everyone uses to keep the chicken coop smell down . i live in florida and as hot as it gets here the smell can get kinda strong i have raked it out and put fresh hay in it but still there is a smell and i know there is something people uses to keep it smelling good.well, maybe not good but at least not bad lol

Stall dry...or is it Dry stall? It has De and clay in it I was told to put some under the pine shavings. Keeps it really dry. Just a thought.

I use a product called "sweet pdz," its a stall refresher intended for horses. I sprinkle it on the floor and cover it with pine shavings. Baking soda might work in the same way too.

i use wood shavings... untreated of course..
cool.png
i live in sunny brisbane australia with ducks and chooks.. but with wood shavings it barely even smells:cool:
big_smile.png

are pine shaving expensive i have plenty of air flow in there,they have an attatched run however they arent allowed to free range yet because the fence is only half up and i have dogs and while i dont think they would hurt the chickens you can never be to careful when it comes to that after all dogs are predators its just in their nature and the poor little chickies have the misfortune of being prey
i havent see pine shavings in the feed store maybe if i try a different one

Usually, WalMart carries pine shavings in the pet dept. as well as feedstores. I pay anywhere from $3.99 to $7 for the same size bundle, depending on where I have to get it. It goes a long way usually, though. Just do NOT use cedar shavings-the aromatic oils are bad on chickens' respiratory systems. You can, however, sprinkle some of them under straw in the nest boxes to keep down any parasites, etc. if you want.

Back
Top Bottom