What will I get?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I've started hatching bantams..
The ones hatching now may not be from my bantam boys, I've only had the hens for a little over 4 weeks. I had collected the eggs they were laying 3 days after I had gotten them.
The one's hatching/I've hatched so far now are the ones from those eggs, so there's a chance the fathers were their old roosters, not mine.
-
Below are the possible unknown father chicks:
IMG_20231021_111302723.jpg

IMG_20231021_111257672.jpg

This one in particular I'm 90% sure has a different father. Came from my silver laced sebright hen. It has feathered feet which leads me to think it has a different dad, my roosters are clean-legged.
IMG_20231021_111455500.jpg
IMG_20231021_111426793.jpg

^^To me it looks like a mille fleur, possibly a d'uccle or booted bantam parent maybe?^^
-
Now, my roosters:
Silver-Laced Sebright Roo
IMG_20231002_163742126.jpg
Spangled Oegb roo:
IMG_20230928_161400227.jpg

My spangled roo is dominant over my silver roo, he's the only one I've seen mount the hens. He also chases my silver roo away from them from time to time. Though, he's gotten better at leaving him alone.
-
Now, here are the my hens:
**laying**
IMG_20231002_163616534.jpg

**not laying?** (as far as I know)
IMG_20231002_163725059.jpg

**Unsure if she's laying atm**
IMG_20231002_163558208.jpg

**100% laying**
IMG_20230925_154104098.jpg

**laying**
IMG_20230925_153900522.jpg

**not laying?**
IMG_20230925_153643849_HDR.jpg
**not laying?**
IMG_20230925_153814334.jpg

-
Now my question is, answer as you please as this probably has a lot of possibilities, what would the chicks look like from the hens and roos pictured?
-
And, is there a chance the chicks hatched currently are from my roosters?
-
I'll have chicks hatching on halloween that I'm sure will be from my roosters, I will update this thread with pictures of them after they hatch.

Now my question is, answer as you please as this probably has a lot of possibilities, what would the chicks look like from the hens and roos pictured?

-
And, is there a chance the chicks hatched currently are from my roosters?
-
I'll have chicks hatching on halloween that I'm sure will be from my roosters, I will update this thread with pictures of them after they hatch.
There is a chance of the chicks being from your roosters, if you started collecting eggs 3 days after bringing the hens home. There is a much higher chance that chicks from your later batch of eggs will be from your roosters.

From Silver Laced Sebright hen:
--with Silver Laced Sebright rooster, chicks will be pure silver laced Sebrights.
--with Spangled rooster, chicks will be sexlinks. Daughters will show gold or red, sons will show silver (white). They will have some kind of pattern in black and red/gold (daughters) or black and silver (sons). Sons may show some red or gold leakage as they grow up, especially in the shoulders.

From Gold Laced Sebright hen:
--with Silver Laced Sebright rooster, all chicks will be silver laced, but may show some red or gold leakage as they grow up.
--with Spangled rooster, all chicks should be red/gold with black in some kind of pattern.

The last hen (blue all over) can produce blue or black chicks with either of your roosters. Depending on what genes she carries, she might also produce chicks that have a pattern of black or blue with silver or gold/red. If she produces any chicks that are white all over, or splash all over, then those chicks are fathered by some rooster other than the ones you own.

I don't have predictions right now for the other hens.

For all hens, chicks sired by other roosters might look like chicks that your own roosters sired (if the other roosters were the same kind, or happened to have some of the same genes.) But of course other roosters could also produce traits that your roosters cannot (like the foot feathering you noticed.)

Comb type genetics that sometimes help in sorting out chicks:
Single x single = single.
Rose x rose or rose x single often produces rose, but sometimes also produces single.
Pea x single = pea or single.
Pea x rose = cushion/walnut, or rose, or pea, or single.

I think that covers all the comb types I see in your birds, and most of what could be available in the unknown other roosters.

The point that is simplest and easiest to check: two parents with single combs will not produce a chick with any other kind of comb. So any chick with a not-single comb must have at least one parent with a not-single comb. The other ones are more complicated, and have so many possibilities that they may not be very useful.

There is a chance of the chicks being from your roosters, if you started collecting eggs 3 days after bringing the hens home. There is a much higher chance that chicks from your later batch of eggs will be from your roosters.

From Silver Laced Sebright hen:
--with Silver Laced Sebright rooster, chicks will be pure silver laced Sebrights.
--with Spangled rooster, chicks will be sexlinks. Daughters will show gold or red, sons will show silver (white). They will have some kind of pattern in black and red/gold (daughters) or black and silver (sons). Sons may show some red or gold leakage as they grow up, especially in the shoulders.

From Gold Laced Sebright hen:
--with Silver Laced Sebright rooster, all chicks will be silver laced, but may show some red or gold leakage as they grow up.
--with Spangled rooster, all chicks should be red/gold with black in some kind of pattern.

The last hen (blue all over) can produce blue or black chicks with either of your roosters. Depending on what genes she carries, she might also produce chicks that have a pattern of black or blue with silver or gold/red. If she produces any chicks that are white all over, or splash all over, then those chicks are fathered by some rooster other than the ones you own.

I don't have predictions right now for the other hens.

For all hens, chicks sired by other roosters might look like chicks that your own roosters sired (if the other roosters were the same kind, or happened to have some of the same genes.) But of course other roosters could also produce traits that your roosters cannot (like the foot feathering you noticed.)

Comb type genetics that sometimes help in sorting out chicks:
Single x single = single.
Rose x rose or rose x single often produces rose, but sometimes also produces single.
Pea x single = pea or single.
Pea x rose = cushion/walnut, or rose, or pea, or single.

I think that covers all the comb types I see in your birds, and most of what could be available in the unknown other roosters.

The point that is simplest and easiest to check: two parents with single combs will not produce a chick with any other kind of comb. So any chick with a not-single comb must have at least one parent with a not-single comb. The other ones are more complicated, and have so many possibilities that they may not be very useful.
@NatJ
They started hatching, all so far are blue/black with reddish heads- Not sure why they're all the same- my guess is they came from my silvers? (since i have more than one of them)

Last edited:
@NatJ
They started hatching, all so far are blue/black with reddish heads- Not sure why they're all the same- my guess is they came from my silvers? (since i have more than one of them)
View attachment 3671696
most look like the one on the left. 2 have rose combs and the other 3 have single combs
I'm not entirely sure what is going on here. The color & patterning will probably become a bit more clear as they fluff up a bit more, but recognizing chick down patterns on mixed-chicks can be difficult sometimes.

For chicks with rose combs, they must have at least one rose comb parent, so you can know that much for sure about the two with rose combs.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here. The color & patterning will probably become a bit more clear as they fluff up a bit more, but recognizing chick down patterns on mixed-chicks can be difficult sometimes.

For chicks with rose combs, they must have at least one rose comb parent, so you can know that much for sure about the two with rose combs.
I got one hatched finally that isn't dark, it's a light yellow/blonde with brown stripes. The chipmunk pattern otherwise. Has a rose comb. I believe it's from one of the ones you couldn't determine what the chicks would be.
She has a rose comb also:
IMG_20230925_153900522.jpg

I got one hatched finally that isn't dark, it's a light yellow/blonde with brown stripes. The chipmunk pattern otherwise. Has a rose comb. I believe it's from one of the ones you couldn't determine what the chicks would be.
She has a rose comb also:
View attachment 3671998
Sounds cute!

Yes, it might be from that hen, and there's a good chance the Spangled rooster is the father.

So far, these are my different patterns.View attachment 3672064View attachment 3672065
I think you're right about the mother of the chipmunk one, and the Spangled rooster is probably the father.

For the others, I can't decide if they look like black chicks (which would have the blue mother, or else a father that you don't own), or if they look like birchen-pattern chicks (probably from the hen that is mostly dark colored but has gold on her neck), or if they are getting that coloring from a Sebright parent (because some Sebright chicks do have large amounts of black, and can have color on the face like those do.)

I will be watching to see how they feather out :)

I think you're right about the mother of the chipmunk one, and the Spangled rooster is probably the father.

For the others, I can't decide if they look like black chicks (which would have the blue mother, or else a father that you don't own), or if they look like birchen-pattern chicks (probably from the hen that is mostly dark colored but has gold on her neck), or if they are getting that coloring from a Sebright parent (because some Sebright chicks do have large amounts of black, and can have color on the face like those do.)

I will be watching to see how they feather out :)
Interesting, i will definitely update you as they started getting their feathers.
The black with the gold neck is likely a parent I'd believe, only because shes one my reliable layers. She's currently broody now though. ( As of this past Saturday) 🙄😂.
But actually, I'd be shocked if none of the chicks are hers, she's high in the pecking order, loved amongst her boyfriends, and was always laying.

Back
Top Bottom