What would YOU do? Duck eggs day 28.

ajwhitti79

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
I'm sure there are many posts that ask the same sort of question, but I feel that every situation is unique so I would like some input from all the pros out there in BYC Land :)

I have a broody Khaki Campbell. She is 2.5 years old and paired with a KC drake of the same age. Today is day 28. She has 13 eggs with fully developed chicks, several have internal pips so this is kind of an urgent situation. I have always heard that KC's make terrible mothers, but she went broody on her own, gathered her own eggs, and has diligently kept to her clutch since day 1.

My setup is this: In the pen with the KC's I have 7-week-old turkeys and two 7-week-old Wyandottes. The turkeys and Wyandottes have a hoop house for night time and the KCs just kind of do their own duck thing. There is not a door on the duck house in the pen. Outside of the pen, in the free-range area, I have 9 laying hens, 1 rooster, and two 7-week-old Cayugas. The Cayugas sleep under the chicken coop at night.

The drake has a history of strong aggressiveness towards ducklings. We have 2 female Cayugas that are 7 weeks old and are separated from the KC's because of his attitude. (see photos). I know it is not going to work to keep the drake with the broody once the eggs hatch. I was going to put him out with the chicken flock until the ducklings are older.... probably much older. He attacks males relentlessly and harasses females as well.

My idea was to bring the drake out to the free-range area and move the 2 Cayugas into the pen with the turkeys and broody KC. But I don't know how mama duck is going to take to two new females in her pen with hatch day upon her. I have also never had turkeys before. I don't know how the turkeys will do with the ducklings.

I need some ideas on what you might do to improve the situation. My main goal is to not upset mama duck since she has the potential to hatch 13 full KCs which I can sell. I'm obviously not going to keep them all since I don't have the space.

My worry is that after the ducklings hatch, mama duck is going to want to be with the drake. She is very attached to him. I have never had a broody duck before but I know MY ducks and my inner voice says that once the eggs are hatched, she is going to want to go back to her old way of life with the drake.
We are testing the drake with the cayugas this afternoon to see how things go. If they get along, I will just leave the drake with them until the ducklings are big enough to handle themselves.
What would you do in this situation? Thank you for your opinions.

Attachments

• photo_2022-06-01_15-10-28.jpg
    photo_2022-06-01_15-10-28.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 25
  • photo_2022-06-01_15-10-48.jpg
    photo_2022-06-01_15-10-48.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo_2022-06-01_15-10-52.jpg
    photo_2022-06-01_15-10-52.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo_2022-06-01_15-10-55.jpg
    photo_2022-06-01_15-10-55.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2022-06-01_15-10-58.jpg
    photo_2022-06-01_15-10-58.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 10
I'd block off the hen's nest from the other birds. Once the ducklings are up and running I would let the drake see them; even put him in the same pen and watch closely. My drakes are aggressive towards hen ducks and other drakes, but never to ducklings. Be prepared to pull the drake from the pen. Also, I have had ducks do a great job brooding, but when the ducklings hatched, the duck took off and did not return. Be ready to raise these ducklings in a brooder situation. My turkeys pay no attention to the ducklings. Last year, one turkey hen adopted two orphan ducklings and raised them with her poults. It is quite likely the duck will want nothing to do with the drake until the ducklings are a couple weeks old; in which case keep the family separated.

Is there a way to barricade the KC hen and her nest from anyone getting to her? A way you could let her out multiple times a day? I have a Call hen that just hatched some ducklings and one of the drakes was trying to kill the ducklings whenever they were 4 or 5 days old. They don't love being locked up but I don't want my drake hurting or worse, killing the ducklings. As long as the ducklings have their mom, they're much happier. My Call hen is all about her babies. She likes to go for a swim a few times a day but she's all about her babies the rest of the time. Maybe your drake will be more gentle with his mates ducklings? I wish you luck! I'll tag some friends to give their thoughts
@BirdsBeesTrees @shawluvsbirds @WVduckchick @Overo Mare

The entire turkey/duck pen is separated from the free-range area with a gate. That is about all I can do. I don't have a way to do any more fencing-off at the moment. I can only shift bodies around. If you notice, in the picture with the Cayugas, I have a red chicken house. That is my maternity ward. I have a Buff Orpington in there with chicks she hatched last week. It's a bit chaotic on the property at the moment and I'm about to put up a NO VACANCY sign. haha!
Right now, the turkeys are young enough that they keep their distance from the nest. They peek their heads in every once and a while, but mama duck hisses and they scoot along. It's a delicate balance between caring for domesticated animals and letting nature run its course, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom