What's the earliest you can try to give chicks to a broody hen?

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
One of my youngest hens went broody for the second time this year already. 🤦‍♀️ I'm trying to decide what to do. I just can't hatch any of ours because we already have too many roosters, lol. Although, I want chicks from my one pair so bad, I just can't get any more roos -don't even want to give them away because I'm worried for their fate. I don't like trying any of the broody breaking techniques. I tried locking her out of her nest for almost a whole day, couldn't keep it up though, and I figured she would go right back to being broody Judy anyway. So I thought I would try to go after some day old chicks after she has been setting a while (something I won't be tempted to keep!!) -then just give the chicks away once the hen emancipates them. So this is only the third day for her. I keep collecting eggs daily. What's the earliest I can give her chicks at night, do you think? Has anyone done it much earlier than the 21 days? I thought I would wait another week and a half. If I do get a few chicks, what would be a good popular breed?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom