What's TOO hot?

Moving air, shade and water is what is key.

But you are right, different places, different heat, different humidity all make a difference.

I would never even think of a fan, the wind in SD is pretty steady, sometimes hard enough to move a log chain!
Oh my gosh! We lived in ND for 9 years (I'm from Texas and now I'm back home) and the wind was CRAZY up there! Even after the first year up there, I was telling my husband that we need to get back to Texas.

We are going into our third week of 95-100F here in South Central Texas. This is not heat index temps and the worse part is that this is to continue until who knows when. This year I added the terra-cotta trays for my 10 week old chicks. I got this idea from a poster here in BYC. I couldn't believe how cool the water keeps on these trays as long as I place them on a shady area. I have to change the water twice a day because they stand on the water, which cools their feet but they also poop on the trays.
I keep fans in my coops 24/7 to continuously move the air specially during the hottest time of the day and at night when the radiant heat makes it very hot inside even if it cooled down a little outside. I have been adding more ventilation on their coops in a manner of openings so the hot air can circulate. I also give them electrolytes. They have shady areas where they hang out.
Totally, @aldarita! We lived in Brownsville for 8 years. That was my husband's first Texas experience and he thought all of Texas was that humid! Lol! We didn't have chickens back then, though.

We typically have heat indexes of 115-120 in July and our chickens seem to do well. We make sure that they have plenty of shade and cool water to drink. If the water gets warm, I change it out in the afternoon for fresh cool (not cold) water. On the hottest days, I sometimes put an electrolyte mix in one of the small waterers. Make sure your coops have a lot of ventilation. We fully open all the doors and windows of our coops and use a USB charged fan to move the air if there is no breeze. We set up beach umbrellas to add more shade to our run, but your run looks nice and shady already 🙂.
I'll give my babies some electrolytes in the morning. Thanks! I hadn't thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom