Whats wrong with my chickens foot?

Attachments

• 20240109_154326.jpg
    20240109_154326.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240109_175332.jpg
    20240109_175332.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 5
Also a there's a lump there on the side of the toe in the second pic (on the chicken's right side I think?). Is that still there or has it gone down at all?
That just appeared yesterday after i put honey on his foot and wrapped it. (I dont have prid handy but I read on google that honey is a good for it) it wasnt there last night when i put the wrap on but was there this morning and is still there. It hasnt gone down. I wrapped his foot again. His scales look kinda weird too.

That just appeared yesterday after i put honey on his foot and wrapped it. (I dont have prid handy but I read on google that honey is a good for it) it wasnt there last night when i put the wrap on but was there this morning and is still there. It hasnt gone down. I wrapped his foot again. His scales look kinda weird too.
Keep an eye on the lump. If it showed up quite rapidly I wonder whether it could actually be some kind of cyst - which would also be something that could cause heat, swelling, and pain. Usually injury inflammation is smoother for lack of a bettery way to put it, which is what I thought I was seeing until I noticed there was that well-defined little round bump.

So do i just keep doing what im doing until he heals? Hes been putting more weight on it recently. But not fully recovered. My other rooster took the opportunity to beat him up pretty good when he was still outside so I'm afraid to put him out there until he's fully healed. He was the head rooster, now the other rooster is. But also our ratio is all messed up so i wanted to get more hens as well and reintroduce him with the new hens.
If he's starting to stand on it more, that's definitely good! So yes, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. I've not heard of the honey thing personally so don't know about that either way.

Be cautious with reintroduction; best to wait till he's back to 100% if possible since hens can also gang up on roos if something's off, not just roo vs roo issues.

Keep an eye on the lump. If it showed up quite rapidly I wonder whether it could actually be some kind of cyst - which would also be something that could cause heat, swelling, and pain. Usually injury inflammation is smoother for lack of a bettery way to put it, which is what I thought I was seeing until I noticed there was that well-defined little round bump.

If he's starting to stand on it more, that's definitely good! So yes, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. I've not heard of the honey thing personally so don't know about that either way.

Be cautious with reintroduction; best to wait till he's back to 100% if possible since hens can also gang up on roos if something's off, not just roo vs roo issues.
I will! Thank you so much! I will most definitely keep an eye on it. Hopefully it goes away instead getting bigger. I was looking up antibiotics the other day but a few are banned in the us and i was very confused on what to start him on. Also I will be very careful. Im going to put him and all the new hens seperate but they can see the other flock. Just cant get to each other. Then i will introduce them with my other chickens after a few weeks. (Thats normally how its done right?) I have two groups right now that coexist. One rooster 3 hens and another rooster 3 hens ( the group he came from, we lost some hens) they roost together and such but each rooster seperatly takes care of their hens. Is that normal as well?

There looks to be maybe looking again the toe is a bit bent to the side. How did it happen. The bottom of his foot is not swollen though. It is 100% normal.

There looks to be maybe looking again the toe is a bit bent to the side. How did it happen. The bottom of his foot is not swollen though. It is 100% normal.
Im honestly not sure. I went out one morning to feed and water, and he was limping and not wanting to put any pressure on it. Honestly I thought his toenails were maybe causing that so we clipped them a little (just now learning about all the things that can actually happen to your chickens) but he doesnt pull away when i grab his toes or anything. So maybe the break if there was one healed already? (I read they can heal breaks really fast?)

So I'm newish to owning chickens we've had them for about a year, my rooster started limping, so we brought him inside started soaking his foot everyday, he is eating and drinking okay and we've been giving him oregano and vitamins and electrolytes in his water. He's been inside for about two weeks now with very little improvement. But no worse either. I think it may be bumble foot but i cannot find a bumble or anything. His middle toe and pad is swollen and warm and inbetween his toes red. But I cant find the source. 🥺
How’s he doing? I’m experiencing a similar issue. Vet said soft tissue swelling and gave Rimadyl. It’s been about a week since I first noticed the limp and three days on meds. Been keeping him in a crate. Don’t see improvement just yet but I’m hopeful. I ready that ACV soaks heal inflammation. And the bacteria that causes bumble. I’m going to try that tomorrow to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom