What's wrong with my geese??

CritterFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ontario
What originally turned out to be an odd quirk has turned into a major issue. I bought 5 Chineese geese from a local market last summer (yep, not doing that again...) There were 2 males, 3 females. Four of them were 2 weeks old and one was 1 week old. ALL of the four that were 2 weeks old have this quirk of not being able to completely tuck in all of their wing feathers, so about 10 or so feathers stick out sideways. The younger goose developed his feathers just fine. Other then them looking a little weird it's never been a problem..... until now.

They're all going through a moult right now and with those feathers sticking out at such a weird angle they constantly keep injuring the blood quills and quickly turn themselves into bloody messes. I was worried about how much bleeding they were doing so I started pulling out some of the quills, hoping they weould re-grow better the next time around. But they're not... everytime they grow back they keep breaking the quills off and bleed. Any idea what would cause them to hold their feather like this in the first place and is there anything I can do to fix it?? Since they were all from the same batch and the younger one is fine I'm thinking that there was something involved in their breeding. It's quite disheartening....
randoms002.jpg

Last edited:
That is Anglel wing and it is hereditary/nutritional. Do a search. They probably will be fine as pets, But I would take away the eggs and eat them. You shouldn't take the chance on breeding them. I wonder if clipping the primaries would help ( after they fully come in or they will bleed). Most people cull these animals. If they are pets and you are fond of them, I wonder if a local Veterinary school Would remove the wing tips for a fair price ? Just a thought. Avian Vets are hard to find.

Last edited:
Yep... that looks like exactly what it is. Heck if it's diet related I don't know what I'd do any differently. They grew up with duck starter/grower and were fed as specified, and have pretty well been free range geese ever since.

You probably did nothing wrong-especially if they've had green food. It really has more to do with inbreeding, as I understand it.

The next time you remove the feathers try using bandages to tape the wing down. Spray the bandages down with Bitter Apple (pet training spray that should be sold at most pet stores) or something that tastes awful to keep them from pulling the bandages off.

The easiest way to bandage a wing is to wrap the wing up, then wrap that around the body UNDER the other wing. Wrap both sides up nice and snug.

You will probably have to fuss with the bandages daily to make sure that they are tight enough, haven't been chewed to pieces, etc.

If you can get the wing to grow right the first time then during the next molt they _might_ come in right again. If not then when they are molting, bandage them up again and take the bandages off when they are done.

That's the best recommendation I can make without risking offending anyone by suggesting they become dinner.

Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom