When I play music, my chicks freeze

Strategic Chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
Hi. I just got 3 one week old chicks. They are living happily in my brooder. However, every time I go to practice piano, the chicks freeze. What is happening? Should I stop playing piano while the chicks are around? Thank you and all answers are appreciated.

I agree with the above, and I would have thought they would get used to it after a while.
However, if they don't maybe it would be best to avoid playing when they are nearby.

Hi. I just got 3 one week old chicks. They are living happily in my brooder. However, every time I go to practice piano, the chicks freeze. What is happening? Should I stop playing piano while the chicks are around? Thank you and all answers are appreciated.
It's that word practice that has me worried. :p:lol:

My opinion is that they actually LIKE hearing the music. I know mine respond to different songs. Chickens love music. Keep playing. You'll soon learn which songs are their favorites.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Essentially chicks freeze at anything they think is a predator (if not already being chased).. motion attracts attention. They usually also pipe down and stay quiet.

But ultimately when they see nothing happens they will become familiar with and expect it. They are cautious but curious and usually quickly recover.

My 4 week old chicks have been making day trips outside for about 2 weeks now.. they've already adjusting to the dogs barking and running past and also to the occasional high pitched very loud circular saw (and impact driver) being used to build their new coop.

Get them used to YOUR life NOW.. don't stop playing! Maybe one of them is like Elton John, Billy Joel, Beethoven, or Mozart, etc.. pausing to remember their past life. :lau

Pics (or video) of them watching you play, welcome! :pop

Back
Top Bottom