When should I banish my 5 week old chicks to the outside realm?

They definitely don't need heat at this point so a brooder is not needed. But they would appreciate more space, what I do with mine is I put them in a pen in my barn, separate from the flock and let them grow out for a bit before I introduce them to the flock. If you have a pen beside your coop that would be even better, so they can become acquainted but can't get hurt.
We use a store coop, blocking off the nesting boxes, in the barn where the big girls feeding trough is starting at 2-3 weeks. That way the ladies can see and talk to the lil girls with no chance of bullying or hen pecking.
At 6-7 weeks we will move them to the big coop, with lower roosting bars about 1-2’ high, and they usually stay in the coop when the big girls go out to forage, at least for a few days. They learn the new house and get a little social time with the elders.
We did this with 11 pullets back in October , and have 18 in the store coop atm for another 3 1/2 weeks before big
7FC82A65-1B97-4FF1-AA12-C9E1252E2CEB.jpeg
coop time.
This is our set up , before the chicks go have been put in.
8A4A9433-CC58-43F0-80E0-DB1A762CCECD.jpeg

This is the big girls at the buffet line, store coops are off to the right, about 6’ away from the trough.

Just wanted to know when I should let my Light Brahma Chicks out. They do mature slower as I know they're a bigger breed but, they’re already getting big at 5 weeks old. When should I take them out of the brooder?
How feathered out are they ? What are the temps where you are ? Are there older chickens ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom