When to release mom hen and chicks with flock

Lady Peckerton Spokesman

In the Brooder
May 8, 2023
Hello! I have a momma hen and 2 8 week old chicks that she hatched out and have been separated in their own enclosure in the coop. The chicks are now feathered and momma hen seems like she's ready to get out of the enclosure. I have 5 older hens that free range all day and get cooped at night. I would like to introduce the 8 week chicks and momma hen back into the flock but I'm worried they will get bullied by the old flock and preyed upon by hawks. Honestly I want to keep them cooped up for another 2 or 3 weeks but I am also afraid that with this extra time, the momma hen will get tired of them and not protect them when I release into the flock. Any advice on this? They have been separated but seeing the old flock and have had some visits to the grass in our temporary coop. Thanks!

Your momma hen will protect her chicks from the rest of the flock. I've never separated a momma and chicks from the flock, not even the rooster will mess with her so I wouldn't worry that they will get bullied. As far as the predators, if you free range, that is always a concern regardless of their size.

Very true, thanks for the response! Maybe I'll introduce them slowly at the end of the day for a few days to see how things go and the momma hen can help them establish themselves within the pecking order.

Very true, thanks for the response! Maybe I'll introduce them slowly at the end of the day for a few days to see how things go and the momma hen can help them establish themselves within the pecking order.
Just curious how things went? I have a broody hen with only one chick, it is now eight weeks old and I’m trying to reintroduce both of them to the flock. I’ve had them in a dog crate in the run with the others, and I’ve let them free range together even closed them in the run all together. The hens are fighting for pecking order, and I’m nervous to leave them in there without supervision. They don’t seem to be bothering the chick at all. It just runs away why the fight happens. I’m afraid I’m making things worse by putting off, putting them all together and letting them be and figure it out.

Just curious how things went? I have a broody hen with only one chick, it is now eight weeks old and I’m trying to reintroduce both of them to the flock. I’ve had them in a dog crate in the run with the others, and I’ve let them free range together even closed them in the run all together. The hens are fighting for pecking order, and I’m nervous to leave them in there without supervision. They don’t seem to be bothering the chick at all. It just runs away why the fight happens. I’m afraid I’m making things worse by putting off, putting them all together and letting them be and figure it out.
Hey! I ended up incorporating them into the flock at 9 weeks just because I was afraid if I waited any longer the momma hen would get over them and not defend them. Fortunately, she protected them for at least 2 weeks after the chick introduction. They are super fast and flighty so none of my older hens have really got a hold of them or anything. At first momma and the chicks just hung out together almost as a separate flock for a week or so then momma hen started hanging out with the flock more. The 2 chicks still try to keep their distance from the bully hens to this day. But their wasn't any blood or injuries at all. I made sure to let the chicks and momma out when everyone was free ranging so there was more escape routes.

Back
Top Bottom