When to sneak 2 day old chicks under hen.

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I have a hen sitting on my own eggs (4) but it’s already day 22 and I have a hunch they are not going to hatch. (It’s super hot here)

I have a batch of 7 2 day old chicks that I want to sneak under her but I read different advice. Some say offer it to her others say do it at night.

What’s your experience, advice?

Some broodies will accept chicks on sight and during the day, but odds for sucess are increased by giving the chicks to her at night. Put each chick behind her and under her tail. The chicks will automatically go underneath her for warmth. Observe your broody's reactions. She may shift her body a little as she feels the chicks beneath her, but should otherwise remain calm and still. If she does so, continue adding chicks. Remove the unhatched eggs, and get up the next morning before dawn, because you want to observe your broody's reactions once she sees the chicks for the first time. If she clucks softly to them, looks at them with complete adoration and tidbits to show them what to eat, the adoption is a sucess. If she growls and drives them away, or worse yet tries to hurt them, you will be raising the chicks yourself. Good luck and here's to a sucessful adoption!

Some broodies will accept chicks on sight and during the day, but odds for sucess are increased by giving the chicks to her at night. Put each chick behind her and under her tail. The chicks will automatically go underneath her for warmth. Observe your broody's reactions. She may shift her body a little as she feels the chicks beneath her, but should otherwise remain calm and still. If she does so, continue adding chicks. Remove the unhatched eggs, and get up the next morning before dawn, because you want to observe your broody's reactions once she sees the chicks for the first time. If she clucks softly to them, looks at them with complete adoration and tidbits to show them what to eat, the adoption is a sucess. If she growls and drives them away, or worse yet tries to hurt them, you will be raising the chicks yourself. Good luck and here's to a sucessful adoption!
I did it and she loves them. She didn’t show them food yet but it’s still very early.

I did it and she loves them. She didn’t show them food yet but it’s still very early.
That's great to hear! Broodies instinctively know their newly-hatched chicks don't need to eat for the first day or two, and so they stay on the nest to give the chicks time to gain their strength after hatching. A broody follows her instincts even if she has adopted feed store chicks, which Do need to eat and drink, and already know how. Normally I don't put food near a broody's nest box, because I don't want her to poop in her nest. But in the case of adopted chicks, if the broody doesnt leave the nest box by late morn, I put food and water nearby so the chicks can eat and drink. Even if broodies still don't leave the nest, they watch their chicks eat and drink with absolute adoration. I've always thought that mom was thinking somewhere along the lines of "OMG I can't believe it; my babies are sooooo smart!"😄

Enjoy your new chicken family; watching momma hens raise their chicks is the best chicken TV of all!

Back
Top Bottom