When to start shutting doors for cold weather?

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I tried to give a few good pics of the overall coop below, but basically as you're facing the front/run the roost is on the inside right wall and nesting boxeseft wall. I have 2 sets of doors: 1 hardware cloth one that is for summer vents at night and also year round predator control at night. The outters I can shut each or both separate. The window on the back also shuts so that it blocks the wind more on the roost side but can still be cracked or completely open in warm or humid weather. It's also hardware cloth covered. So as we get I to colder weather here in Pennsylvania what combination of closure should I do you think? Also the two swaure holes above the window are permanent and cloth covered. They sit above the roost level whereas the window is at top bar height fully opened

On a particularly cold and windy night last week but not quite freezing I just half shut the window and the right side door.

2B610395-11D9-4A47-A7A2-53FDCC734342.jpeg

Attachments

• 44020B0C-BCE0-47DF-8E12-C4E0EFD5C3FA.jpeg
    44020B0C-BCE0-47DF-8E12-C4E0EFD5C3FA.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 7
Depends on prevailing winds in the winter. What is your winter like? Where do winter winds typically come from?

Our winter winds are typically out of the west, or the NW. our coop has a window facing East (not blowing on roosts, and it is a low window). It has large upper ventilation facing S and N. It has upper eave ventilation E and W. We have 6’+ roofing extending to the N and S, so those large ventilation openings are protected from direct rain or snow. Our coop is right behind the barn, so protected from the direct winds coming from the west. During late Dec we put up a cover in the North large ventilation opening to minimize the North winds. We remove that cover in late Feb/March, depending on weather.

I too, think it is more about wind, and not so much about temperature in the winter. I live in SD, on the west, and we tend to be dry. Our wind comes out of the north and west. My ventilation is on the south side, and I leave it open all year.

The pop up door which does face the north, I have started closing at night. And when I did so, where on the roosts, my birds roosted changed. So I think there was an uncomfortable draft from that pop up chicken door. They are no longer in the corner away from that door, but spread along the roost much more evenly.

So, that is who I would ask so to speak. Go down after dark, and see how they are roosting. Are they spread out, or are they close together on one part.

Good ventilation is above their heads on the lee side of the prevailing winds.

Mrs K

Well I've checked the last couple nights before bed around 11pm. This morning The water buckets had a layer of ice so it definitely was cold. They were spread the entire length on the roost like usual and all seemed comfortable. Their normal closeness to each other and almost every other were under each other's wings. 16 birds with 2 levels totalling 18 feet of space and if course they all stay on the top 9ft comfortably.

I'll continue to monitor but so far so good

Back
Top Bottom