Which breeds to keep together?

redpandakitty

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2023
North Carolina
If anyone likes logic puzzles, I have one for you!

Hoping to get some input on the best way to separate my current flock, as well as the chickens I'll be adding in a few months. I have half an acre for them & most breeds are only 1 or 2 birds since they're just pets & I wanted a variety. I can divide this space into as many pens as needed, although as few as possible would be ideal. I just know some of the breeds are more assertive than others & I don't want anyone getting bullied. I've had Brahmas, EEs, Ameraucana, Jersey Giants, & Orpingtons before, but the other breeds are new to me.

Our current flock (still babies): 5 OEG Bantams (fairly certain 1 cockerel, 3 hens, 1 poss cockerel); 3 Bearded d'Uccles (unsexed), 2 Cochin Bantams (unsexed), 1 Houdan (cockerel), 4 Brahmas (1 cockerel, 3 hens), 2 EEs (hens), 2 Andalusian (cockerel & hen), 5 Ameraucana (hens). I've already separated the OEG Bantams since they are way too rambunctious for the other chicks right now.

Other breeds we're expecting in a few months: Polish (1 M, 2 F), Orpington (1 F), Langshan (1 F), Bielefelder (1 unsexed), Cochin (1 M, 1 F), Jersey Giant (1 unsexed), Sumatras (1 F, 1 unsexed), Ameraucana (2 unsexed), Andalusian (1 F), Delaware (1 F), Brahma (1 F), Marans (3 F), Fayoumis (1 F), Leghorn (1F), EEs (2 F), Ameraucana Bantams (4 unsexed), Brahma Bantams (2 unsexed), d'Uccles (2 unsexed), OEG Bantams (4 unsexed), Japanese (4 unsexed), Sebright (1 unsexed)

I know I'm going to have at least 2 pens for the bantams - 1 for the OEG & 1 for the rest. For the standard sized birds I think the Orpington, Brahma, Cochin, Jersey Giant, Bielefelder, Langshan, Marans, EEs & probably the Delaware, Polish, Houdan would be fine in a mixed flock. I'm unsure about the Sumatra, Leghorn, Fayoumi, & Andalusian though, as I understand they can be flighty & possibly aggressive.

Sorry for the super long post, but I don't know anyone that has chickens, much less a variety of breeds, that I can ask, so any advice would be much appreciated! I have no current plans on breeding & plan to rehome any excess roos I know I will end up with from the unsexed chicks.

Differences in assertiveness are rarely a problem if they have lots of space and resources. Adding clutter (anything that breaks up the lines of sight) and multiple feeders and waterers helps also. That would take care of any differences in flightiness also.

I would do one or two pens.

Back
Top Bottom