White Ameraucana / Barred Rock cross

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I have a 14 week old what I believe is a White Ameraucana Roo that is a real nice looking, he was raised with 5 Barred Rock pullets, I am wondering if anyone knows what this cross would look like.

Attachments

• 20230724_145610.jpg
    20230724_145610.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 40
He is an Easter-egger, not a true Ameraucana. You can see flecks of color in his feathering that indicates he's likely dominant white, but not pure for the gene, and he has yellow skin and greenish shanks where an Ameraucana should have white skin and slate shanks.

More than likely what he'd produce with a Barred Rock hen is roughly half chicks that resemble his plumage, white with black flecks, about one quarter that are solid black, potentially with some silver leaking through here and there, and one quarter that are barred like the mother, also potentially with silver leaking through. Since the mother is the barred one in this equation, and I don't see any evidence of the male being barred (though that is hard to say for sure on a white bird, of course), only the male chicks will inherit barring and the female chicks will not, as that gene is sexlinked. Unfortunately, the ones that inherit white from their father will be hard to determine if they inherited the barring gene, but the ones that do not inherit white will be sexable at hatch by whether they have a white dot on the backs of their heads signifying that they inherited barring. Now, if he does happen to have barring as well that is hidden by his white plumage, then all or most of the chicks will inherit it, male or female, depending on whether he has one or two copies. There are some other plumage color genes he could be hiding as well that might give you weird results, so bear that in mind as well.

Since he appears to be pure for the pea comb gene, all chicks will inherit that from him as well, most likely having combs that are in between their parents' combs, similar to a pea comb but taller like a single comb. He also has a beard, so either all of his offspring will be bearded as well or half will and half won't, depending on if he is pure for the gene or not.
Small fix to wording I messed up, whoops

Last edited:
He is an Easter-egger, not a true Ameraucana. You can see flecks of color in his feathering that indicates he's likely dominant white, but not pure for the gene, and he has yellow skin and greenish shanks where an Ameraucana should have white skin and slate shanks.

More than likely what he'd produce with a Barred Rock hen is roughly equal numbers of chicks that resemble his plumage, white with black flecks, about one quarter that are solid black, potentially with some silver leaking through here and there, and one quarter that are barred like the mother, also potentially with silver leaking through. Since the mother is the barred one in this equation, and I don't see any evidence of the male being barred (though that is hard to say for sure on a white bird, of course), only the male chicks will inherit barring and the female chicks will not, as that gene is sexlinked. Unfortunately, the ones that inherit white from their father will be hard to determine if they inherited the barring gene, but the ones that do not inherit white will be sexable at hatch by whether they have a white dot on the backs of their heads signifying that they inherited barring. Now, if he does happen to have barring as well that is hidden by his white plumage, then all or most of the chicks will inherit it, male or female, depending on whether he has one or two copies. There are some other plumage color genes he could be hiding as well that might give you weird results, so bear that in mind as well.

Since he appears to be pure for the pea comb gene, all chicks will inherit that from him as well, most likely having combs that are in between their parents' combs, similar to a pea comb but taller like a single comb. He also has a beard, so either all of his offspring will be bearded as well or half will and half won't, depending on if he is pure for the gene or not.
Thank you so much, he was bought as an easter egger, he looked so much like a White Amercauna pictured in the cackle hatchery website I thought he got mixed in. Thanks again for your reply and Knowledge.

No problem at all! I did just make a slight fix to wording that I messed up in that second paragraph for clarity, just so you're aware. 🙂 About half of the chicks should inherit white from him and have plumage similar to his, one quarter black possibly with leakage, and one quarter barred possibly with leakage.

Back
Top Bottom