White brahma??

He looks Porcelain (color). I'd question if he's Leucistic, as he looks like he should if he's pure, just wrong color. As far as mutations like this, @NatJ might be more helpful.

My first thought was that he might be recessive white, which is one of the more common reasons for a white chick to appear from colored parents. But I think I see some brown-ish color in his feathers, which should not happen with a recessive white chicken. (The chick down on recessive white chickens can show some amount of color, for example the gray chicks of White Jersey Giants, or the chicks of Frost White Legbars that have some brown on their heads.)

To me, he looks too white to be Porcelain (since that involves the lavender gene).

Of course my screen might be displaying the colors differently than yours or differently than the reality, so I can't be sure that what I am seeing is actually right! He could be recessive white (plus dirt or shadows) or he could be Porcelain (looking extra-white on my screen), or could be something else yet.

Leucistic and albino are terms I haven't really learned about, at least as regards chickens. So I don't have anything useful to say there.

@NatJ thank you

He has some slightly orange/gold and some very light grey feathers on his head, back and wings
That doesn't sound like recessive white.

The lavender gene can cause those colors, but would probably not cause large amounts of actual white.

I'm puzzled, and don't know what to say.

Maybe @nicalandia or @Amer would know something useful?

Leucistic is a term only used for wild birds with unknown color dilutions.
I am certain this one lavender but it looks like he is lacking a lot of the gold an isabel would have. Maybe the farm sent a lavender Brahma egg by mistake?
We went to the farm to pick up the eggs, they only had gold partridge brahmas
Could it be that one of his parents was half lavender half gold partridge or had some lavender in them but he/she looked like a gold partridge but still could give a lavender baby??

Last edited:
We went to the farm to pick up the eggs, they only had gold partridge brahmas
Could it be that one of his parents was half lavender half gold partridge or had some lavender in them but he/she looked like a gold partridge but still could give a lavender baby??
Yes, it could be something like that.

Due to how the lavender gene works, both parents (not just one) would have to be half lavender or half Isabella or something like that. But if one rooster and one hen had those genes, and the other hens did not, then the whole flock would only produce a few chicks who look like your mystery chick (only some of the chicks from one hen, and no chicks from any other hens, for that example.)

Back
Top Bottom