Who is she? Sumatra X ?

Akmixedflock

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2024
This pretty gray gal hatched out of a light brown/tan egg. She was an all yellow chick with grayish legs.
She’s 20 weeks old now and half Sumatra (our rooster) and half one of the following (these are the only layers we had at the time!):
Barred Rock
Colombian Wyandotte
ISA Brown

Less likely: White Jersey Giant (they JUST started laying right around when we let our broody sit on these eggs)

Any guesses as to which (and why please!) are appreciated!!

Attachments

• 62B57750-B194-4CD2-B376-B6534720076B.jpeg
    62B57750-B194-4CD2-B376-B6534720076B.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 36
  • B40D7990-FFBA-4884-847A-08ACE9E07DC9.jpeg
    B40D7990-FFBA-4884-847A-08ACE9E07DC9.jpeg
    730.7 KB · Views: 20
  • B4AC234E-51A6-4D61-BD19-DCFD933F714B.jpeg
    B4AC234E-51A6-4D61-BD19-DCFD933F714B.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 20
This pretty gray gal hatched out of a light brown/tan egg. She was an all yellow chick with grayish legs.
She’s 20 weeks old now and half Sumatra (our rooster) and half one of the following (these are the only layers we had at the time!):
Barred Rock
Colombian Wyandotte
ISA Brown

Less likely: White Jersey Giant (they JUST started laying right around when we let our broody sit on these eggs)

Any guesses as to which (and why please!) are appreciated!!
The father is the rooster in the third photo, and is also in the second photo, right?

Every one of those hens could have produced a daughter with that coloring and that comb type when bred to that rooster.

Chick traits that would indicate specific mothers:

--white barring would mean a son of the Barred Rock (but daughters do not inherit barring from their mothers, so this does not help identify the mother of a pullet.)

--almost pure white, with just a few bits of black, would mean a son or daughter of the ISA Brown (she has a gene that turns black into white, but she will only give that gene to half of her chicks. So she is also able to produce chicks that look like this pullet.)

--any chicks with a rose comb would have to come from the Wyandotte. But some Wyandottes also carry the right genes to produce a single comb chick, so again this is not helpful for finding the mother of this particular chick.

A pea comb (like the rooster has) could also come from any of the hens, because that gene would be coming from the father. He did not give it to this pullet.

The bird in question is splash, the father is blue, so you can rule out the barred rock hen.

It has a single comb, while the father has a midified pea comb and the Wyandotte should have a rose comb. So I think you can rule out the Wyandotte as well.

The chick has no red leakage, so the ISA probably isn't the mother, either.

My bet is the mother was the white Jersey Giant.

The bird in question is splash, the father is blue, so you can rule out the barred rock hen.

It has a single comb, while the father has a midified pea comb and the Wyandotte should have a rose comb. So I think you can rule out the Wyandotte as well.

I thought she was just a light shade of blue.

If she is splash, then I agree that the White Jersey Giant is the most likely mother (must be hiding at least one blue gene under those white feathers.)

I thought she was just a light shade of blue.

If she is splash, then I agree that the White Jersey Giant is the most likely mother (must be hiding at least one blue gene under those white feathers.)
It looks splash to me with the pale coloring and the black spots. If it is blue then that changes everything.

The father is the rooster in the third photo, and is also in the second photo, right?

Every one of those hens could have produced a daughter with that coloring and that comb type when bred to that rooster.

Chick traits that would indicate specific mothers:

--white barring would mean a son of the Barred Rock (but daughters do not inherit barring from their mothers, so this does not help identify the mother of a pullet.)

--almost pure white, with just a few bits of black, would mean a son or daughter of the ISA Brown (she has a gene that turns black into white, but she will only give that gene to half of her chicks. So she is also able to produce chicks that look like this pullet.)

--any chicks with a rose comb would have to come from the Wyandotte. But some Wyandottes also carry the right genes to produce a single comb chick, so again this is not helpful for finding the mother of this particular chick.

A pea comb (like the rooster has) could also come from any of the hens, because that gene would be coming from the father. He did not give it to this pullet.
Correct, the rooster is in both the photo with just him and then more of the flock. Thank you for your info, I appreciate it!

Thank you!!
My chicken mix breed knowledge is lacking and you helped me learn something new today, I had not heard of a splash before but realize another of my hens might be one as well.
I appreciate your knowledge and input!

Back
Top Bottom