Why are they doing this?

:) No one knows until they crack it open, the outside of a fertile egg is exactly the same as a non-fertile one, and as I said, most people honestly have no idea what to look for anyway. They just have visions of partially formed chicks coming out.
If you are selling eggs then you have to do what you have to do. I might just have a conversation with those customers to see what the actual objection is and who knows, maybe they will change their mind. Maybe not. I know people whom have told me the same thing and when questioned (politely) they say basically 'because someone told me', they really have no idea. You could always have a flock of hens separate and a flock with a male, and do both. Just depends on what your goals and needs are.
I have actually had this debate on Facebook. Some say they don't want fertile eggs because they are eating chicken sperm, And others have said it because they can't get past the fact that that would be a baby. I let them know that the fertilization dies off in temperatures below 55゚ so therefore since I put them in the fridge they are no longer fertile. I've had only one person budge and say ok, And I was luckily the guy that I am bartering with to get their wood shavings for their ground. I give him eggs however he wants, I get their bedding

People are funny. I also know people who think it's just awful that I process and eat my extra roo's. But they don't flinch at buying chicken in the grocery store and eating that. :th
I'm not sure when we became so closed minded about everything. I try to gently and politely educate people when I can, but none of us can fix them all. When it's business you have to do what you have to do!

People are funny. I also know people who think it's just awful that I process and eat my extra roo's. But they don't flinch at buying chicken in the grocery store and eating that. :th
I'm not sure when we became so closed minded about everything. I try to gently and politely educate people when I can, but none of us can fix them all. When it's business you have to do what you have to do!
I personally don't eat the quail. I am weird about it, but don't have a problem cooking wild or raised game for my husband. I'd eat it if it was that or starve though. My husband is a hunter, I've had to cook up many things for him, so I'm at least use to the process

You do have a dilemma between selling eggs that are not fertile to customers and the safety of the males you want to keep for future offspring. I would have to agree with others comments of reducing your male flock or splitting them up. Eventually, you might be burying a dead male if this behavior continues. I can tell by your comments you do not want this to happen. So if you have an egg business going on and have hopes of it expanding then I think it would be wise to separate a male and place with a few females for fertile eggs to expand your flock. Then definitely split your remaining males into 2 different pens and cull the aggressive one or ones. This way you can sell your eggs as your client's request and increase your flock and hopefully save any from being attacked and or killed. Just a suggestion but it is up to you to think about what is in the best interest of you, your birds and your clients you hope to retain and maybe acquire more.

You do have a dilemma between selling eggs that are not fertile to customers and the safety of the males you want to keep for future offspring. I would have to agree with others comments of reducing your male flock or splitting them up. Eventually, you might be burying a dead male if this behavior continues. I can tell by your comments you do not want this to happen. So if you have an egg business going on and have hopes of it expanding then I think it would be wise to separate a male and place with a few females for fertile eggs to expand your flock. Then definitely split your remaining males into 2 different pens and cull the aggressive one or ones. This way you can sell your eggs as your client's request and increase your flock and hopefully save any from being attacked and or killed. Just a suggestion but it is up to you to think about what is in the best interest of you, your birds and your clients you hope to retain and maybe acquire more.
Thanks for the advise. I will just have to thin the males a bit more when my other eggs hatch and are ready to go out. For now we can finish the other side of the hutch and leave them 4 males in each side. Does this sound like a better number? No I don't want any to suffer, I know some fights will happen, but this guy was on his way to a full on scalping I think. Good thing I go out daily I guess. Here is the hutch, I can't remember if I added a pic already

Attachments

• 20180602_191825.jpg
    20180602_191825.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom