Why don't my Faverolles go in at night?

thechickenfarmer

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Connecticut
I got my Salmon Faverolle chicks in October, and kept them indoors until they were about 3 months then put them in the coop. They've been there about 2 months and have been going outside on all the decemt weather days since. Unlike my other chickens they don't go in at dark. I know they've been in the coop plenty long enough to know it's their home. So what gives? Some nights they go in but most nights I have to go out at dark and give them a talking to. What worries me is what's going to happen when the weather is nicer and I want to free range them. Are they going to go in? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, Jen
smile.png

If they have a favorite treat. Give it to them in the coop at sunset. If they learn that the sun going down means treats in the coop they will be there. All a matter of conditioning. Keeping a light on in the coop for and hour after sunset can help too.

Don't give them food outside the coop. Keep their waterers in the coop also.

That is the best advice I can offer. No doubt others will have ideas too.

I've been sort of doing that. I go out at dark and turn on the light and sometimes put in a few treats. If I can get one to go in then the rest follow. It's not a big deal but I'm confused because I thought chickens couldn't see in the dark. So, I don't understand why they would hang around outside the door.
roll.png

Are there other chickens in with them? Sometimes the others won't let them come in or wait for them to get on the roost then badly peck them and run them off. Maybe you should try listening and watching from a distance when it's roosting time just to see what's going on. hth.

Also, I just happened to think that you might want to treat the coop for mites. Perhaps they get itchy when they go inside. That and the pecking are the only things I can come up with.

The faverolles are in a coop by themselves and they're young so I haven't seen any pecking or bullying. They were all raised together and get along very well. I handle them often and haven't seen any sign of mites. Maybe it's silly but I was wondering if some breeds can see better in the dark than others. If my other chickens were out that late they'd be in a tissy about getting in. The faverolles seem content just to hang around at the door. Oh well, maybe I have those amazing faverolles with night vision.
gig.gif
Jen

My two Australorp don't like to come in at night either. I always have a treat for them....and when I do my chicken call, they and my two silkies come running in for their treat. You should see them in summer when they know they're getting grasshoppers!! Very funny sight!

Back
Top Bottom