Why I love BYC

hsm5grls wrote
Speckledhen,
A special thanks to you from me. A month ago or so I PMed you with a baby chick emergency not realizing you were a mod. I never look. LOL I just new you had a lot of experience from your posts. You helped me like a friend would without any hesitation and even though I lost the baby you encouraged me to try again. I really thank you for that

I have found her to be that way too. Specleled Hen for Mod of the Month
clap.gif

That's an interesting thing to think about, why you love this forum...hmmmmm, well, I like the Staff and the Members. The site is easy to manuever through and has alot of comfortable features like the PM section and the ability to re-check your own posts. The threads vary from useful to light-hearted banter. Information is current and assistance is offered at the drop of a hat by both newer and older members and there is an overal feeling of "community" amongst the members, genuine caring among most. Members are encouraged to share about all of their children, human, feathered and furred. Diversity is accepted in many different areas (religion, politics, sexuality, ethnicity, gender...). The site is tolerant of joking but maintains good boundaries when things move beyond joking. hmmm, what else, addicting, fun, encourages friendships, source of great information....an overall A+ site
smile.png

I was interested in getting some chickens 2 years ago. I thought about it, I read books about it...but I just wasn't sure. I mean, I knew that I wanted them, but I wasn't sure that I could handle them. I didn't know what to expect, so I put it off. I was most worried about diseases that I didn't understand, and I was afraid that I couldn't keep my birds alive.

Then I found BYC. I lurked for a few months, reading everything in each section, then discovered the search function (duh), and starting educating myself on particular things.

Reading posts on BYC is so very different than reading a book. You get to know about real life issues. Not a table of all the horrifying diseases that a chicken can get, which is very intimidating. Instead you get pictures, ideas of what to do about it, and you get to find out the outcome for the bird. It made me feel that I could in fact handle it. And I knew that if something went wrong, I would have someone to help me. A whole lot of someones! (AKA my chicken friends)

In short, BYC gave me CONFIDENCE.

I got my first chickens January 8th, and we are all doing fine. And I owe it all to you guys! Thanks so much!

Yes, I also like this site very much! Provides me lots of knowledge on caring for my chickens. It also has a friendly and informative forum and lots of chicken projects! Thanks for the wonderful site, NiftyChicken!
clap.gif

The good thing about this forum is it enables us to learn from *others'* experience without having to start from square one and make every possible mistake *ourselves*
wink.png

(Especially, 3 cheers and a tiger for complete archiving and a good 'search' function - without which I'd'a been lost a lot of times!)

But the GREAT thing about this forum is that it proves that a diverse group of people actually CAN behave (or anyhow be induced to behave <g>) as 'themselves' yet still be a tolerant, accepting, supportive community -- unlike the impression given in an awful lot of other places on the web <snort>
smile.png

Pat

I have to say that I love this site for all the aformentioned reasons.
But I also love the fact when you're feeling lonely or at loose ends you can play games! Swap recipes! Share craft ideas!
It's nice to have someplace friendly to go, where even if you don't have a chicken problem, or know the answer to someone else's problem, there's still plenty to be involved in.

Back
Top Bottom