Why is it okay to keep quail and rabbits in small wire cages, but not chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quail or rabbits would not suffer from the same health problems that a chicken would. I kept hay, sand boxes, houses, and pieces of drywall or ceramic tiles in my quail and rabbit hutches, that keeps them enriched and protected. In my area RHDV2 and fire ants make it difficult to keep either one on the ground safely.
Chickens need roosts, nest boxes, and solid ground to be healthy. They have a much bigger wingspan than any rabbit or quail, they produce more poop, they have more sensitive bodies (combs and large feathers), they would be crippled with bumblefoot, and probably cannibalistic.

In reality I don't think any animal should be kept in small cages or hutches, but when you're in my situation and you risk them all dying of a horrific disease or being consumed by ants it's the better choice. Chickens don't have either of those problems so there's really no good reason to subject one to that kind of torture. Sit in a bathtub 24/7 and eat unfrosted little wheaties for breakfast lunch and dinner when you could be outside and see how happy you feel.

Quail or rabbits would not suffer from the same health problems that a chicken would. I kept hay, sand boxes, houses, and pieces of drywall or ceramic tiles in my quail and rabbit hutches, that keeps them enriched and protected. In my area RHDV2 and fire ants make it difficult to keep either one on the ground safely.
Chickens need roosts, nest boxes, and solid ground to be healthy. They have a much bigger wingspan than any rabbit or quail, they produce more poop, they have more sensitive bodies (combs and large feathers), they would be crippled with bumblefoot, and probably cannibalistic.

In reality I don't think any animal should be kept in small cages or hutches, but when you're in my situation and you risk them all dying of a horrific disease or being consumed by ants it's the better choice. Chickens don't have either of those problems so there's really no good reason to subject one to that kind of torture. Sit in a bathtub 24/7 and eat unfrosted little wheaties for breakfast lunch and dinner when you could be outside and see how happy you feel.
While I agree that most animals are safer and healthier being confined (even in cages with wire floors for some species), if you cannot provide a comfortable, spacious area for them why keep them in the first place? Not saying your animals aren't comfortable, just making a point.

While I agree that most animals are safer and healthier being confined (even in cages with wire floors for some species), if you cannot provide a comfortable, spacious area for them why keep them in the first place? Not saying your animals aren't comfortable, just making a point.
Well I keep rare breeds for starters, I think it'd be pretty sad to lose them. Most rabbit breeders use my set-up, and if we all suddenly quit because there's no logical way to keep them inside or outside safely then a crap ton of rabbits would be euthanized. It would be a devastating blow to what many breeders have worked towards for centuries. If I didn't keep them like this someone else would, and I know I take good care of them, they are actually very happy and friendly, they might not live their best lives but they sure do live nice ones.
And lastly I keep them for meat, and I jeopardize everything I've put into them by keeping them on the ground.

Some of the rabbits live in my house because they're pets, but most of them live outside in cages with mats, boxes, auto waterers, alfalfa blocks, hay, toys, a big roof over their heads, and they even have companions.
I'd rather not mess up what is working just fine for temporary comfort, they might really enjoy being on the ground for a while but should they contract RHDV2 they'd be bleeding profusely from every orfice in their bodies and dead within weeks.

Rabbits are actually pretty simple creatures, mine enjoy seeing me every day and getting pets, they love their treats, they enjoy companionship and a happy rabbit is simply a safe rabbit. IDK about you but I've seen wild rabbits and they're pretty scared of just about everything, and rightfully so since everything is out to kill them. I've had indoor free roaming rabbits and they have all been fairly affectionate but would still rather sleep in a cozy corner, eat food, and hide in their houses. They don't act much different from their caged friends.

Well I keep rare breeds for starters, I think it'd be pretty sad to lose them. Most rabbit breeders use my set-up, and if we all suddenly quit because there's no logical way to keep them inside or outside safely then a crap ton of rabbits would be euthanized. It would be a devastating blow to what many breeders have worked towards for centuries. If I didn't keep them like this someone else would, and I know I take good care of them, they are actually very happy and friendly, they might not live their best lives but they sure do live nice ones.
And lastly I keep them for meat, and I jeopardize everything I've put into them by keeping them on the ground.

Some of the rabbits live in my house because they're pets, but most of them live outside in cages with mats, boxes, auto waterers, alfalfa blocks, hay, toys, a big roof over their heads, and they even have companions.
I'd rather not mess up what is working just fine for temporary comfort, they might really enjoy being on the ground for a while but should they contract RHDV2 they'd be bleeding profusely from every orfice in their bodies and dead within weeks.

Rabbits are actually pretty simple creatures, mine enjoy seeing me every day and getting pets, they love their treats, they enjoy companionship and a happy rabbit is simply a safe rabbit. IDK about you but I've seen wild rabbits and they're pretty scared of just about everything, and rightfully so since everything is out to kill them. I've had indoor free roaming rabbits and they have all been fairly affectionate but would still rather sleep in a cozy corner, eat food, and hide in their houses. They don't act much different from their caged friends.
Nothing wrong with keeping rabbits off the ground. It's great you make sure they have plenty of enrichment and are safe. If they don't act different and have the room to bounce like popcorn, they are fine.

Some rabbit colonies are kept inside shelter on concrete, which would take care of the fire ant and RHVD danger. They still get to interact with each other and make modified burrows in hay or another substrate.

Everyone, these following YouTube videos are examples of small cages used for quails and rabbits. Does this mean that these people are committing severe animal abuse?

Last edited:
Everyone, these following YouTube videos are examples of small cages used for quails and rabbits. Does this mean that these people are committing severe animal abuse?

Is it "severe abuse"? No..there are much worse things you can do to animals. But I would never keep them in cages like that, especially that many quail! The wire is hard on their feet and the rabbits have no room to hop and play.

Can I have rabbits in with my chickens??
I only have 3 girls and I think 1 male that will be going to my nephew
I've always wanted chickens but they are very stand offish, where a rabbit would not ( I have had them ) and want to hope they would get along and the bunny would show the chickens that pets are cool.
I see you have both and am crossing my crazy fingers that you say that they do 🤪 😜 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom