Why is my chicken gurgling when breathing?

Okardare

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
A few months ago my hen, of 3yeras old, showed symptoms of a respiratory infection, we took her to the vet and although they injected her, the disease became resistant to the medicine, so they had to use a new antibiotic.

She was fine in the morning, she was still breathing with her beak open from time to time, but she was getting better; however, today my mom and I carry her, and she began to gurgle out of nowhere and she even stretched her neck when I carry her.
I don't know if we did something to hurt her, since I carried her as usual.

She's been with her beak open all day, she doesn't gurgle all the time, but she can barely breathe with her beak closed.
She already had X-rays done last week, and the vet said she still had a bit of an infection in her lungs, but nothing extremely serious.

She has been eating mostly normal, didn't want to walk that much, but she doesn't seem to like strech her neck down I guess because her respiratory problem right now, and I think she was walking a bit funny, but is difficult to tell.

Pls any advice? I am afraid that she will die, or that we accidentally hurt her or hurt her neck.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-09 at 5.18.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-09 at 5.18.57 PM.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hi! I had a similar situation with three of my hens. Can you put a humidifier near her and diffuse eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil? Give her raw yolk and undiluted nutri drench to boost her nutrition. Give her whatever she wants to eat. She should get better in a week or two.

Hi! I had a similar situation with three of my hens. Can you put a humidifier near her and diffuse eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil? Give her raw yolk and to boost her nutrition. Give her whatever she wants to eat. She should get better in a week or two.
Thank you so much!!! ;-; SmiYa0126
We have been nebulizing her with bromhexine, twice a day as indicated by the vet. but I don't know if it helped much, I'm going to try what you tell me.

For now I have done that, let her eat what she wants, yesterday she ate fruit and seeds, today she was eating some insects she found in my garden, she hasn't gurgling today, wich gives me hope, although she has been having very watery poop, which worries me.

Thank you so much!!! ;-; SmiYa0126
We have been nebulizing her with bromhexine, twice a day as indicated by the vet. but I don't know if it helped much, I'm going to try what you tell me.

For now I have done that, let her eat what she wants, yesterday she ate fruit and seeds, today she was eating some insects she found in my garden, she hasn't gurgling today, wich gives me hope, although she has been having very watery poop, which worries me.
Don't worry about the poop, as long as she's eating and drinking, that's all that matters. I'm not familiar with that medicine. However eucalyptus and peppermint relax the airways and allow them to get more oxygen. I tested this remedy on myself before giving it to my girls. đź©·

Don't worry about the poop, as long as she's eating and drinking, that's all that matters. I'm not familiar with that medicine. However eucalyptus and peppermint relax the airways and allow them to get more oxygen. I tested this remedy on myself before giving it to my girls. đź©·
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me, it helped me a lot, I hope your chickens get better soon ;u;

Back
Top Bottom