Will a goose befriend my single hen?

Kylo_Hen!

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
Hey guys,

Recently I've been having some issues with predation on my free-range chicken flock and unfortunately, I am down to my last hen. I don't want to get another flock of chickens because this has happened twice in a row now, and nothing I do is keeping my flock safe. In a coop or free range, something is always getting them, and these are pet birds so it's been rather hard. The last hen I have is very sweet and friendly and I'd love not to have to rehome her, but she is very lonely and I know she needs other flock members because chickens are communal birds. I was thinking maybe I should get a goose as a friend for her so that it can both protect her and also be less likely to be predated upon due to size. Will a goose be a good friend/protector for my hen?

i'm so sorry for your losses. it's very hard to lose pets. but geese can also be predated.
can you build a run that is predator proof? it needs 1/2 hardware cloth everywhere, even on the ground all around it. in the articles, learning center section of this site , there are hundreds of tutorials with step-by-step instructions on how to build, safe, coops and runs.

Hey guys,

Recently I've been having some issues with predation on my free-range chicken flock and unfortunately, I am down to my last hen. I don't want to get another flock of chickens because this has happened twice in a row now, and nothing I do is keeping my flock safe. In a coop or free range, something is always getting them, and these are pet birds so it's been rather hard. The last hen I have is very sweet and friendly and I'd love not to have to rehome her, but she is very lonely and I know she needs other flock members because chickens are communal birds. I was thinking maybe I should get a goose as a friend for her so that it can both protect her and also be less likely to be predated upon due to size. Will a goose be a good friend/protector for my hen?
I’m so sorry! I already commented on your other post so I’m not going to go over what I said there.

It sounds like you have a serious predator problem that needs to be addressed. Hardware cloth can be tacked to the walls of your coop or enclosure and laid across the ground to prevent even the smallest predators from getting in. If the attacks are happening outside the coop I strongly suggest setting up some traps for whatever it is or getting a dog.

Back
Top Bottom