Will dog hair deter predators??

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I was going to shave my dog today, and was wondering if I sprread the hair out behind the coop if it would do anything to help deter some predators and pests. Like racoons, oppoums and rats...Whatcha think?

Thanks,
Shannon

Dog hair prolly won't, but dog pee would... other dog-like animals, such as foxes and coyotes, do not like the smell of a dog marking it's territory.

Ya, I wasnt holding much hope for it LOL I try to get the dogs to pee around the coop, but its not working well. Maybe I need to send DH and DS out to do the duty
lau.gif

We have coyotes come into our yard and also to our front and back doors. Not one or two but in packs too. They have community sings here as well as in the dry creek ( 70 feet wide and 10 feet deep banks) running across our 20 acres. We had 2 very large Boxers ( 95 and 90 lbs of muscle) and now 2 killed ones. I heard the tall tales of human pee scaring off the predators... so I saved a bunch in an old plastic gallon milk bottle and splashed it around the yard. Then that evening I watched a male coyote come and sniff at the stuff and lift his leg to mark his own scent there to show what he taught of it. So much for human pee as a deterrent !!!

I've tried dog hair and human hair and the only that I found that works is a fence.

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom