Will Our Rooster Help???

mandolinmama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Urbana Missouri
We have two hens and one rooster. We've caught him doing the funky chicken with both. Only one lays. I was wondering if having him around might help the other hen to start laying.
All three of them have only been here for a couple of weeks and we've been getting eggs from one hen (bantum) but not from our standard size one.
Any thoughts???
I really would love to see her lay some for us!
hmm.png

A rooster has nothing to do with whether or not a hen lays eggs. Remember, eggs forming in a chicken is like a human woman ovulating-don't need a man for that, LOL! Maybe your other hen is just taking time to adjust to her new surroundings. Give her some time. The funky chicken, LOL! That's a good one!
lol.png

Last edited:
Thanks Cynthia!
I just didn't know if it would get her "mojo" in action or not. However, seeing it like "my" monthly cycle, it certainly makes alot of sense.
Hope she lays for us sometime, but even if she doesn't EVER lay for us, she's got a beautiful personality and we'll love her until she's a really old little lady.
Thanks for your reply though!!!
smile.png

If she's only been with you a couple of weeks, she may just be getting her cycle back in order. Moving to a new place can be traumatic for chickens, who are creatures of habit. Hopefully she'll be laying in no time!

Back
Top Bottom