Winter slow down?

You may notice a slight decrease this year, as in instead of 5-6 eggs per week per bird, maybe 4-5 eggs.

But next year, they will stop laying all together for weeks! Right now, I am lucky to get an egg a day, and I think that may stop soon. I have 11 birds...4/5 molting hard, no eggs. and 6 pullets not laying yet. I have high hopes that two of the pullets, hatched April and May, MIGHT start laying before the dark days of November...but so far nothing. The August girls won't lay until mid-January.

By February I will have too many eggs, and now am buying eggs! It is quite a hobby.

Mrs K

You may notice a slight decrease this year, as in instead of 5-6 eggs per week per bird, maybe 4-5 eggs.

But next year, they will stop laying all together for weeks! Right now, I am lucky to get an egg a day, and I think that may stop soon. I have 11 birds...4/5 molting hard, no eggs. and 6 pullets not laying yet. I have high hopes that two of the pullets, hatched April and May, MIGHT start laying before the dark days of November...but so far nothing. The August girls won't lay until mid-January.

By February I will have too many eggs, and now am buying eggs! It is quite a hobby.

Mrs K
I'm trying to hoard some right now for the expected slow down but I can only keep so many!! I have a bunch right now....been keeping my neighbors happy lately though!

Mrs K
We have 8 hens about 1 1/2 yo. We had been getting 7-8 eggs/day. Last week we were only getting 4/day for a couple of days. It has picked up a little more to 5 or 6 eggs per day. Not sure what they'll do when daylight hours gets even shorter. I'm hoping to get no less than 4/day. Is that hoping for too much?

We have 8 hens about 1 1/2 yo. We had been getting 7-8 eggs/day. Last week we were only getting 4/day for a couple of days. It has picked up a little more to 5 or 6 eggs per day. Not sure what they'll do when daylight hours gets even shorter. I'm hoping to get no less than 4/day. Is that hoping for too much?
At that age they should be molting already, and not laying, unless you are using supplemental lighting.

Back
Top Bottom