Winter

minionek1450

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2023
This is my first winter so. are there any tips for keeping geese during the harsh winter in poland? its pretty hot inside their coop where they live with chickens. they dont seem to mind the cold right now but i just want to be prepared when it gets colder

They have straw bedding. And they either sit in the snow. Stay in one place. Or move around a bit. They also have the coop open if they would want to go back in but they prefer nibbling on some stuff in like a storage room where i keep wheats and stuff for them. They dont seem to be cold but my female duck is closing her eye which i am afraid is a disease which i had to deal with since the begining. But its easily treatable. Had to go to the vet with the first case of it i had with the geese. It looked like there was no eye but she healed in like a week or so

They have straw bedding. And they either sit in the snow. Stay in one place. Or move around a bit. They also have the coop open if they would want to go back in but they prefer nibbling on some stuff in like a storage room where i keep wheats and stuff for them. They dont seem to be cold but my female duck is closing her eye which i am afraid is a disease which i had to deal with since the begining. But its easily treatable. Had to go to the vet with the first case of it i had with the geese. It looked like there was no eye but she healed in like a week or so
Im not sure about your past with the geese but healthy geese are built for the cold. They are filled with feathery down we all wish we had. Sourland is correct in a (wind free) draft-free place they can get into is really important. A dry place also is really important. Geese may decide to stay outside all year long. Mine go home every night to the barn and will remind me if I dont get there in time to close there door by lining up and waiting for me. They love the security of there home my barn. But will brave all weather conditions during the day.

When the weather conditions frigged in the US that's below 0 fahrenhete I dont let them out. Carry buckets of water to the barn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom