Would a light on motion detection deter predators?

birdy_num_nums

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Our backyard light is on a motion detector. Just wondering if this could help as part of our layers of predator defense?

Our main predator concerns are: coyote, bobcat, skunk, racoon, loose dogs, mountain lion. At least that I know of so far....

Also wondering if it would be worth it to add another light out at the coop that is motion sensitive but also solar (no electricity to coop).

I think it MIGHT be a deterent but if you have the same predator coming around for a while it might get used to it and it may not work anymore. If you can see the light though or are a sensitive sleeper, it might help you to go check when it goes off. Or it might keep you up when it goes off!!!
smile.png

There is supposively a predator light that some people swear by. I didnt check the previous posts links, but I thoght it was on one of our sponsors links....

It will help you see and temporarily take the night vision of the predator away. They will get used to it and skulk at the edges. Most sensors are set so they don;t trigger to pet-sized animals though. Won't hurt and if you have to rush out you'll have some light.

Last edited:
The only deterent is electric fence or a very secure house with wire over the windows.
I want to look into the mesh that is electric, even a small jolt will help.
Farmers and such here in Maine will take a electric wire and place peanut butter on it. That way animals will immediately go to it, as its forgein, get a jolt and run away from the garden or fence.
Good luck!

i saw a product for sale in a catalog recently that had a constant blinking red light. it was light (dark?) activated, so it would run constantly from sundown from sunup. but, however, i've got no idea if that would work or not. might just be a gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom