Wowzer!!!

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
My Brown Leghorn has been online for three weeks, laying daily and typical pullet sized eggs, but the last two times she had laid, the eggs are huge! Today’s egg had some tinge of blood on it, is that okay? It is hard to believe that such a small hen can lay such a large egg, my Wyandottes eggs aren’t that big 🤣

I wouldn't worry about a tinge of blood on an egg as long as it doesn't keep happening. seeing that once in a while isn't unusual. were the big eggs double yolkers? with new layers especially high production breeds that's not uncommon. my rir girls gave me some double yolkers in the first couple months. saw a blood speck or two a few times also. just check her vent and make sure it all looks good.

I wouldn't worry about a tinge of blood on an egg as long as it doesn't keep happening. seeing that once in a while isn't unusual. were the big eggs double yolkers? with new layers especially high production breeds that's not uncommon. my rir girls gave me some double yolkers in the first couple months. saw a blood speck or two a few times also. just check her vent and make sure it all looks good.
Not gonna check her vent cause I wouldn’t know what to look for

Not gonna check her vent cause I wouldn’t know what to look for
Just lift the tail and check to make sure it looks normal, not sticking out a lot, shouldn't be any discharge and shouldn't have any wounds (like from pecking) and that's also one of the places where you would check for mites or lice. It should be a normal flesh color and since she's laying it will be more elongated rather than round. If you can get a picture and post it we can tell you if it looks normal so you know what to look for. It's a good idea to do routine checks to make sure there's no problems on laying hens.

Just lift the tail and check to make sure it looks normal, not sticking out a lot, shouldn't be any discharge and shouldn't have any wounds (like from pecking) and that's also one of the places where you would check for mites or lice. It should be a normal flesh color and since she's laying it will be more elongated rather than round. If you can get a picture and post it we can tell you if it looks normal so you know what to look for. It's a good idea to do routine checks to make sure there's no problems on laying hens.
both eggs laid are double yoked

Attachments

• 618805CE-66B4-4191-93D3-69AC66644258.jpeg
    618805CE-66B4-4191-93D3-69AC66644258.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom