Yogurt?? How??

homechick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Mineola, Tx
I got some plain yogurt and put it in a tiny dish in the cage for my month old chicks. They just stepped in it and pooped in it. I think one pecked at it later.. but it was most likely just a foot print. Several people on here said they give it to their chickens but I'm curious how. I even poured a bit out on a plate but no luck. HOW???

Also, just wanted to add that I got some pet bird gravel/grit from Walmart and sprinkled it on a plastic plate in their cage and they love it! I should have got it for them earlier.

I just mix it with some of their food or other treat I know they like. Occasionally if I have left over pasta, rice or carrot peel I'll mix it with yogurt and flax seeds. I don't do the pasta and rice often though it's just a rare treat. I don't know if other peoples chickens loved treats at an early age but mine didn't. They were a few months old before they had any interest in anything other then their chicken food. If your chickens don't like it now try it again in a month or so I'm sure they eventually will. Good luck
smile.png
Jen

Well, I've never had that problem and most of my flock will eat yogurt & garlic off a spoon. However, you have to remember they are still learning what food looks like. Yogurt doesn't look like crumbles, but after a while they will probably nibble at it. Because chickens nibble at everything.

Here's are some suggestions.

Try putting the yogurt in with the chicks for a while a couple times each day. Eventually someone will try it. Once one bird starts eating it, the others will join in.

Or you could try to sprinkle some of their starter feed on top of the yogurt.

Gently hold a chick in one hand. Pet it for a while. Whisper sweet nothings to it. Make sure it is calm. Hold a teaspoon with yogurt your other hand. Dip the tip of the chick's beak into the yogurt. After this bird starts eating the yogurt, return it and the yogurt to the brooder. Once the others see one eating, they'll join in.

We feed certified organic layer mash to our hens. Unlike crumbles or pellets, mash is very powdery. We mix a small amount of yogurt with the mash to make crumbles. We do this twice a day. We keep water, feed, grit and oyster shell available to our flock 24/7 free-choice.

Make sure you use a plain yogurt with active cultures. Mine like it best with crushed garlic in it.

We saved the plastic trays from take-away Chinese food to use as treat dishes for our flock. They can be cleaned easily with boiling water and a little soap after each use.

Always remove any uneaten yogurt after 10 minutes and clean the dish.

regards,
keljonma

Last edited:
I just sprinkle some of their starter on top. When they peck the starter they can't help but get some yogurt. Sometimes that's enough to get them started but sometimes I have to do it several times before they learn to like it.

Back
Top Bottom